PDA

View Full Version : Lumber grading

Jay Buckler
11-16-2012, 11:09 PM
I bought some cherry from mason mill & lumber in Houston. Have bought from them many times before & was happy. This cherry was rated 'select or better' & I thought it was on the verge of being commons. Had lots of shake sap stains & other stains & knots of consequence. I was always taught lumber from best to worst was 'first&seconds, ''select' , & the various grades of 'common'. SO my question is who on the west or n west side of Houston keeps FAS grade hardwood?

thanks

Jay

Edward Dyas
11-19-2012, 7:03 AM
As big as houston is there must be several places. You might use woodfinder.com or just google hardwood lumber in houston. I was going to suggest hogan hardwoods but I see they have closed the houston yard.

Todd Burch
11-19-2012, 8:00 AM
Take it back. As much as I like Mason's, sometimes they deliver crap. However, I call, they come and get it and bring me replacement, no questions asked. So like them even more. Same for sheet goods. If I have a critical project, (and they would suggest this to anyone), I go hand pick it.

On the other hand... if you went and hand picked it, then, well.... you picked it! I have left Mason's empty handed before because they didn't have the quality I wanted. I either delay the project or pick an alternative wood. Case in point was earlier this year when I was looking for 8/4 QS White Oak. All they had was VERY minimally figured boards, and the boards that did have good figure, had big knots or were only about 1/3 of the board or were narrow and banana shaped - not the kind you want for a table top.

If you go in person, and are out in their warehouse, and the fork lift guys are heading for a stack you KNOW will be no good, refuse it and tell them to pull out another stack. I do this any time needed when I'm there in person. Their body language might say they are not happy to oblige, because they think you are wasting their time, but I've seen management there remind these guys of their priority to the customer.

There are several other suppliers. Houston Hardwoods on 34th. If you hit them just at the right time, and they are in a good mood, they might even wait on you.

And, there is Hardwood Products on the west belt. south side, between Westview and Hammerly. Be careful not to hit the Mason's delivery truck as you enter or leave.

Then there is Clarks Hardwood Lumber Co. over on White Oak. Take twice the money you would have taken to Mason's for the same wood.

I'm a Mason's bigot - can you tell?

Todd

Jim Rimmer
11-19-2012, 1:11 PM
Clarks Hardwoods http://www.clarkshardwood.com/ They have changed up their website. Make sure you get directions before you go. They are on 5 1/2 street in the Heights and it doesn't come up on my GPS. (Just checked; if you select Contact Us it has a link to directions.) Seven warehouses of wood.

Also Houston Hardwoods off of 290. 4910 West 34th Street. http://www.houstonhardwoods.com/

I've bought from both; prefer Clark's.

Michael Dedon
11-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Brazos bought out Hogan Hardwoods here in Baton Rouge. They've got a Houston location listed at 6911 Fairbanks N. Houston #110. I've been pleased with quality and availability here.