PDA

View Full Version : Nova Hand Wheel

Jeff Walters
11-16-2012, 7:11 PM
Hi All,

I have a Nova 1624 lathe that i love and want to put a handwheel on the outboard side of the headstock. There seems to only be one available so i ordered it from Amazon. It will not screw in. I know it is a left hand thread but I can not get it to go any further then a couple of threads.

Anyone else have this issue? Does anyone know if there are any other brands or handwheels out there that will fit the nova 1624?

Thanks,
Jeff

Andrew Kertesz
11-16-2012, 7:21 PM
When I bought my lathe and hand wheel both through WC I had no problems at all. Screwed all the way on first time around. Almost sounds like the threads are the wrong size.

mark ravensdale
11-16-2012, 8:09 PM
Pretty sure that your lathe uses the same hand wheel as my nova dvrxp, mine went on fine first attempt, to my knowledge this is the only hand wheel available for yours/my lathe, have you checked the threads on both the spindle and hand wheel to see if there is any obvious fault with them?
If it doesn't screw on easily then please Do NOT try to force it, get in touch with Amazon and get them to send a replacement, it's such a downer when something arrives that you have been looking forward to only to have it not work properly!

Best of luck, and I will keep my fingers crossed that any replacement works for you Jeff !!!

Michael Mills
11-16-2012, 8:15 PM
Is it possible the threads were bumped hard with the knockout bar? I don’t know if you can feel the area with a finger tip or not. You may be able to shine a bright light and rotate via the chuck for a visual.
At Amazon they list two; the chrome/nickel look at 29.03 and free shipping and the black sold by Woodcraft for 28.04 plus shipping. Mine is like the chrome and it threaded in with no problem.

Richard Madden
11-16-2012, 8:21 PM
I've had my 1624 for at least five or six years and just recently added a handwheel. Bought from Woodcraft, the chrome one, and no problems screwing it on. I'd follow Mark and Michael's advice.

Tom Wilson66
11-16-2012, 10:01 PM
Just wondering if it has a set screw, and did you back it out before threading the new wheel on?

Jeff Walters
11-16-2012, 10:35 PM
Thanks for all the advice. I have requested a return with Amazon. It must be bad threads however i can not see any problem. I'll have Amazon send a new one and in the mean time try to get some more light in there to see the threads better. They feel OK when i run my finger on them.

With that thought, anyone know the size and threads on the headstock. Maybe if I can get a tap, I can clean them out.

Jeff

Andrew Kertesz
11-17-2012, 6:28 AM
If you get the second one and it doesn't fit I would contact NOVA customer service. The warranty is 5 yrs. and you don't want to do anything that may void the warranty. Something else you could try; if there is a local Woodcraft if you have a good enough relationship take the handle and see if it fits their lathe. Like Mark said it should fit either the DVR or the 1624. If it works then you know it is your spindle and not the handle.

Jeff Walters
01-15-2013, 7:46 AM
Hi All,

I did get the second one and it went right on with no problem. Nice addition to the lathe. It ought to be a standard piece.

Thanks to everyone who responded and helped.

jeff

Richard Madden
01-15-2013, 8:32 AM
Glad to hear the second one worked. I agree that it should be standard.

Thomas Heck
01-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Glad to hear it works. I have the same lathe and was wanting a handwheel. You encouraged me to order one from amazon last night.

Thomas Heck
01-18-2013, 1:40 PM
I already received my handwheel from Amazon. It fit like it should. Does anyone know what the hole is drilled and tapped for in the side. Is there some type of part for a vacuum chuck that will fit in the handwheel? Thanks,

Sid Matheny
01-18-2013, 11:14 PM
I already received my handwheel from Amazon. It fit like it should. Does anyone know what the hole is drilled and tapped for in the side. Is there some type of part for a vacuum chuck that will fit in the handwheel? Thanks,

Yeah that is for the NOVA vacuum adapter that they no longer sale.

Sid