PDA

View Full Version : Corian question - joining two pieces

Patrick Galpin
11-16-2012, 6:14 PM
Need to join two pieces of corian to build up an edge, what adhesive will work but not show after routing / sanding? Thanks for the help.

Marc Ward
11-16-2012, 6:18 PM
CA glue...CA glue.

Dan Hintz
11-16-2012, 6:35 PM
Like Marc said, CA glue... it's what Corian uses. A properly installed countertop has an invisible seam, so your piece should, too.

Zach Callum
11-16-2012, 8:10 PM
http://www.gruber-systems.com/products/seamless-adhesives.html

The link above is to a company that sells the adhesive that you want. It is important that you use a glue that is the same color as your material.

Jason Roehl
11-16-2012, 8:17 PM
Like Marc said, CA glue... it's what Corian uses. A properly installed countertop has an invisible seam, so your piece should, too.

Nearly invisible. ;) I can't walk past a Corian counter top without looking for a seam. Given enough time I can always find them. Call it OCD--Obsessive Corian Disorder... :D

Mike Henderson
11-17-2012, 12:17 AM
If I recall, when I took a class on solid surface materials, the glue was colored to match the solid surface, and it was a two part glue (like an epoxy). They had a special nozzle on the glue tube (I guess I should say "tubes") that mixed the materials before you applied it. And, yes, once you made the joint, it was almost impossible to see.

Mike

Bob Reda
11-17-2012, 6:35 AM
I just made 300 clocks out of corian for a banquet, where I had to glue two pieces together. I found out that corian is made of 2 types. One that is seamless and one that will show a seem. Its all in what colors you pick. By the way I used the stuff corian sells and also the 2 part plunger.

Bob

Curt Harms
11-17-2012, 9:14 AM
I experimented with some scraps and used 5 minute epoxy. It worked pretty well, jointed two pieces then routed an edge. It was hard to find the seam even though I knew where to look. For 'real' non DuPont solid surface adhesive, you could try glue warehouse. You would have to buy the gun and probably some extra mixing tips.

http://gluewarehouse.com/