PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Christmas ornaments from Baltic birch

David Sparks
11-16-2012, 4:07 PM
I am seriously considering buying an Epilog Mini 18 to use for cutting Christmas ornaments from 3mm Baltic birch. Is 4o watts enough to do this efficiently or should I try to get a 60 watt Mini 24? I am tempted to buy a cheaper Chinese laser, but I have wanted an Epilog for a very long time and will need good tech support. Thank you for your help.

Chris DeGerolamo
11-16-2012, 4:35 PM
We used to cut them with our 35 so I'd say yes, 40 is enough. Word from the wise, I use the phrase "used to" because we don't anymore, they didn't sell for nothing. Now we've got a buncha dust collectors.

David Sparks
11-16-2012, 5:45 PM
Thanks for the information, Chris. Did you convert scroll saw patterns to vector art for laser use, and, if so, was it hard to learn how to do?

Joe Pelonio
11-16-2012, 8:23 PM
Search the forum, there are many members that have shared CDR files of ornaments every year. If you were going to do a lot of them the more powerful machine would do the work a lot faster, but like Chris I found them hard to sell. Some people coming into my sign shop bought a few, but at Holiday Gift shows no one wanted to pay more than $4-5 for them. I decided they were too much trouble to bother with. Last summer we were in Virginia City, NV and saw a display of them at a Christmas Store, where they were priced at $2-3.