PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Jointer (SC to PA) - Best pratice?

brian c miller
11-16-2012, 2:39 PM
So the relocation company called me today and informed my that it will cost $2100 to move my 8" jointer form SC to PA

I can break it into halves but I am a little worried that it's not going back together as great as it came apart or worse yet that it will arrive damaged.

Any idea on how to safely move this baby 800 miles?

Thanks,
BCm

scott vroom
11-16-2012, 2:45 PM
$2,100 to move an 8" jointer? Why? Grizzly, for example, charges $150 to deliver an 8" jointer anywhere in the lower 48.

Marc Burt
11-16-2012, 2:49 PM
Wow that's absurd. Is this just for the jointer? Or your whole house and they're placing a surcharge on the jointer?

Stephen Cherry
11-16-2012, 3:55 PM
The only trick to jointer moving is to remember that it is top heavy. So a nice pallet, to increase the base size, and the machine bolted down to the pallet might be the hot ticket.

OR, craigslist it in SC, and pick up another one in PA. If you are paying to move it, it might the best option.

Brad Patch
11-16-2012, 4:38 PM
I don't know the particulars of your relocation, but I do know how careless movers can be. Careless is not the right word, they can often loose things or cause significant damage. Think about putting the jointer into a storage facility and then move it to PA at a later date. You could load it into a rented small truck with an engine lift for far less than $2100.

Michael W. Clark
11-16-2012, 4:45 PM
The moving company moved my shop when we relocated last time (poor guys). They treated it all like a piece of furniture and loaded it on the truck. However, if we relocate again, I think I will at least do all the packing in the shop and may move my tools separately with my own trailer. I had a lot scratches on the machine tops, mobile base wheels damaged, tools scattered in a bunch of different boxes, etc.

I imagine the upcharge is crating it. With some items they will hire a 3rd party to build a crate for the items and the 3rd party carries insurance on the item for the move. We had a granite top crated that broke in transit. (They actually tried to re-install in the house without us knowing and said it wasn't broke with it falling apart in their hands). The moving company had to replace the entire table.

I would either secure it to a pallet or take the bed and tables off the cabinet. You could build a box for the bed to protect the tables during the move. Put a piece of plywood over the top of the cabinet and you can stack stuff on top of it (or in it if you want).

Mike

David Kumm
11-16-2012, 5:03 PM
Way too high. I had a 2000 lb 16" jointer hauled for 500. 1000 should be the high end. Lift gate residential is a high rate. Freight terminal with you picking up is much less as is flat bed hauling. The pallet should be made out of 2x10s with 4x4 or 4x6 runners and the jointer bolted - not lagged- to the bottom. If it is wrapped up in shrink wrap it doesn't need a covered trailer. An 8" with a steel base can be separated and put in a pickup. Dave

Myk Rian
11-16-2012, 5:41 PM
Try to arrange what is called a "Rucker" on OWWM.
That is finding someone that is going that way, and has room to carry it.

Kevin Bourque
11-16-2012, 6:23 PM
Theres a website where you post what items you want moved and where. Then people bid on the job. Theres a TV show about this too. $2100 is ridiculously high.

Dan Hintz
11-16-2012, 6:28 PM
The pallet should be made out of 2x10s with 4x4 or 4x6 runners and the jointer bolted - not lagged- to the bottom.

That's a little beefy, don't you think? The heaviest item in my shop shipped via crate was my 18" Jet bandsaw. That was a lowly triple 2x4 with 1x6 slats across the top and a couple of 1x2 across the bottom.

Bruce Wrenn
11-17-2012, 9:41 PM
When I have to move a jointer, I break it into parts (fence, beds, and base.) First remove fence, level beds with each other, place a 2X6, 8 or what ever width you need on top. Strap it in place. Heavy duty zip ties will do. Get help, and pick up top assembly, holding it as near to center as possible (to keep from breaking gibs.) Turn upside down and lay flat on bottom of vehicle. Surprisingly, an 8" jointer will fit into most mini vans this way. Throw the base and fence in and drive away.

Bud Millis
11-17-2012, 9:45 PM
Heck, I'll drive to SC pick it up and whatever else I can put in the truck and bring it back up here for 2100.00.

johnny means
11-17-2012, 10:22 PM
I've had 1 ton crates shipped to Europe and Australia for less. Recently had a 1700# slider sgipped via flat bed from Delaware to NY for $600. Seems like this may be there way of saying that they would rather not touch it.

David Kumm
11-17-2012, 11:56 PM
That's a little beefy, don't you think? The heaviest item in my shop shipped via crate was my 18" Jet bandsaw. That was a lowly triple 2x4 with 1x6 slats across the top and a couple of 1x2 across the bottom.

Yes, you are correct. I was thinking about an old cast iron 8". They went about 1200 lbs. Overkill for newer ones. My wife and I lifted the tables of a DJ20 ourselves. The base and motor were doable as well. I cheap engine hoist will lift that type of jointer. Dave