PDA

View Full Version : Resaw King Blade Sliced Veneer Better than Expected, Except a Tiny Detail

Andrew Joiner
11-16-2012, 1:25 PM
I have a new Resaw King I got 3 years ago. It's 15/16" wide with 2(almost 3) TPI. I tensioned it to 1'' on my saw gauge. I tested it a bit when I got it and was unimpressed with the smoothness of cut on 6" and wider resawn faces. The cuts were not as smooth as a glue joint rip table saw blade. My tests showed they were acceptable as the glued down face for veneer so I thought this was OK.

Today I just sliced a 6" wide 12/4 quilted maple slab into near perfect 1/16" veneers with the same blade. Both faces are smoother than most of my table saw blades! The set up was the same as my tests 3 years ago, except I did tension the blade more. This time I tensioned the blade as much as I could by hand on the tension wheel of my Grizzly 21" saw. The saw gauge read just over 1-1/8".
This quilted maple veneer is so smooth and uniform off the saw I didn't need to joint each face before I sawed a slice. I can glue it down with both faces only processed by the bandsaw. This saves wood and gives a better bookmatch. No planing or drum sanding of the precious quilt needed. I can go right to 100 grit RO sanding.

Here is the tiny detail. Both faces off the saw are super smooth. The veneer is captured between the fence(1/16" to the left of the blade) and blade . It's sawn surface is easily ready for 100 grit RO sanding. But the face of the slab on the right of the blade is almost polished, easily 150 grit ready.

Has anyone else seen this notable difference in the smoothness of resawn faces? Have you been able to eliminate it?

Andrew Joiner
11-17-2012, 11:16 AM
For the record. I sliced some sapele veneer with the same set up. The smoothness of both resawn faces is nearly the same now. It must be a characteristic of the quilted maple I have.

Anyhow consider this a raving review of the old style Resaw King blade. They have changed (improved) them now, but I can't imagine much better cut quality.