PDA

View Full Version : Laser Engraver for Middle School

Jeremy Fox32
11-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Hi,
I am looking to purchase a laser engraver for our Middle School shop. The engraver will not be used heavily. Possibly one week out of every month. We will be primarily engraving wood. I need some suggestions for specific units and where to buy them from. We do not need top of the line by any means, but I do want something that will last and has adequate technical support. One of the small units would be sufficient. Speed is not much of a factor. With my little knowledge and minimal research, I had liked the Trotec Speedy 100, and the LaserPro c180, but I really am out of my league here. Our budget would support something in the 5K-10K range, but less is obviously better. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike Null
11-16-2012, 12:01 PM
Jeremy

Welcome

The Speedy 100 would be a good choice but I would also look at the Rayjet by Trotec.

Scott Shepherd
11-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Jeremy, you might try contacting all the manufactures as well as people that sell used lasers. Explain your story. You might end up with a donated laser, new or used. I know if I owned a laser company, I'd certainly be willing to donate a couple smaller lasers every year to various schools.

Mike Berndt
11-17-2012, 9:35 AM
Hi Jeremy,
I bought a ULS25E(out of my own pocket) refurbished for use with my middle school students. They really love it and are amazed by how it works as well as what it can do? We use it to engrave and cut through thin 3mm baltic birch plywood. There are many cool projects that they can do as well with this low power laser.