PDA

View Full Version : Bending HS steel

Fred Belknap
11-16-2012, 8:36 AM
I have a small hollowing tool that I would like to adjust the bend in the end. Can it be heated with a torch and bent? Thanks

Jamie Donaldson
11-16-2012, 3:41 PM
You might be able to get HSS hot enough with a MAPP torch to bend it, depending on size of the tool, but it might also break or at least degrade the hardness at the cutting edge.

Dale Miner
11-16-2012, 4:11 PM
I bent a piece of 3/16 square about 30 degrees one time. I heated it to a bright yellow orange heat with oxy fuel. I had a catch with the cutter within a few seconds that was my error, not the tool. The cutter snapped at the bend and I did not try to bend another piece. I think an unaltered piece that was extended as far as the bent cutter was would also have snapped, so can't offer any insight as to whether the heating/bending affected the material.

Fred, Is your entire hollowing tool made of HSS?

Tim Rinehart
11-16-2012, 4:19 PM
I've not tried, but it's an interesting question I've pondered. I think I'd prefer to take an alternate approach, perhaps brazing or silver soldering a piece of HSS to cold roll steel bent to your need. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/threads/48179-Silver-soldering-brazing-HSS

Fred Belknap
11-16-2012, 5:41 PM
Thanks guys. I have a Sorby small hollowing tool and wanted to do some ornaments. I wanted to hollow through a small hole and there is to much bend in the tool to get to the bottom. I want to take some of the bend out. I have acetylene that will get it hot enough, I just wonder if it would make it weak or brittle.

Steve Schlumpf
11-16-2012, 6:58 PM
Fred - I have a couple of HSS hollowing bits that Randy Privett heated and bent for me. It is possible but I am clueless as to how he did it!

Ryan Baker
11-16-2012, 8:54 PM
You could do it, but it would completely screw up the temper, and you won't be able to fix that like you could with HCS. Go to the hardware, get a piece of mild steel, and bend however you need it. Add a cutter to the end and you are in business.

Harry Robinette
11-17-2012, 9:55 PM
You have to anneal the steel( take the hardness out). Do what it is you need to do. Then reheat and quench( using oil Olive, mineral NOT petroleum ) then let cool completely and then re-temper the steel to hardness. Not an easy thing to do but you can find all the info needed on the computer. Look up annealing and tempering of steel.

Ryan Baker
11-19-2012, 9:07 PM
You have to anneal the steel( take the hardness out). Do what it is you need to do. Then reheat and quench( using oil Olive, mineral NOT petroleum ) then let cool completely and then re-temper the steel to hardness. Not an easy thing to do but you can find all the info needed on the computer. Look up annealing and tempering of steel.

Nope. That would work if it was HCS. HSS can't be hardened and tempered the same way. You need a tempering oven and other things that aren't practical to do in a small shop. It's not worth the trouble. Grab a piece of carbon steel and you can do whatever you need to.