PDA

View Full Version : Router Lift

Tim Goins
11-16-2012, 3:32 AM
I used my Jessem router the other day and the lift broke. Need less to say I was not pleased. I have never done a lot of routing with it. But I'm not pleased with it's performance. With the belt drive and all. So Jessem has lost me as a customer. So now I have a chance to buy a new one. So my question is which is a good one? I have looked at the Rockler router lift. And the Bench Dog lift. Also I was looking at the Kreg. Any suggestions?

William C Rogers
11-16-2012, 4:05 AM
I have the Rockler lift, however it is made by Jessem. My lift is not belt, however the plate size is specific to Rockler and not the standard size. If I were to buy a new lift most likely it would be the Incra. I have had good luck with all their products and believe I would like the magnetic lock system for the insert rings.

Grant Wilkinson
11-16-2012, 8:36 AM
Did you try calling Jessem to see about getting it fixed? I'm not a huge Jessem fan, but if you ditch very company whose product breaks at some point, you may end up with no options at all.

Doug Richardson
11-16-2012, 8:47 AM
The Kreg is a Woodpecker, so if you've seen one, you've seen the other. Very happy with my Kreg, however, I haven't used it enough to wanna tell you it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I have never seen the Incra, but I have other Incra products that I'm very happy with, so if you've seen it and like it, that might not be a bad decision.....

Stephen Cherry
11-16-2012, 9:06 AM
I used my Jessem router the other day and the lift broke. Need less to say I was not pleased.

The lift broke? What broke, and why did it break? Pictures?

I have a jessem lift, and can't imagine how you would break one. Particularly to the point where it could not be fixed. Have you looked at to try to determine what part broke? Maybe it's just one part that needs to be replaced? You do know that sometimes machines need to be repaired, right?

It's very easy to get on one of these websites and down a product, but sometimes it sounds suspicious, particularly when someone has just joined a forum.

How about some pictures?

Damon Stathatos
11-16-2012, 9:22 AM
I have a Jessem router lift with a belt as well and is one of the few things in my shop that has given me years of reliable and precise service, not that that's of much consolation to you, however, what exactly broke? It's not as if these things are loaded with complicated electronics and I'm guessing would be an easy fix with the proper part(s).

If I'm remembering correctly, the only Jessem with a belt was the one that has the height adjustment in the front of the table, which proves most valuable in making easy adjustments during the actual cut (like raising the bit up into the wood during the cut) and are models no longer available from Jessem (which makes existing ones like 'gold' as far as I'm concerned). These things were built 'like tanks' out of solid stock aluminum so whatever model you switch to may be a step or two down from what you already have. I agree with Grant, give Jessem a call. From what I understand they stand behind their stuff and may offer you an easy fix. If not, please consider me as a buyer of your broken one, I'd love to set another one up or just keep it 'in reserve.'

Prashun Patel
11-16-2012, 9:29 AM
I have the Incra MastRII, but the manual included was for a Jessem, so I think they're made by the same company?

Anyway, I agree with Grant. Before throwing the baby out with the bathwater, I'd contact Jessem. They have a good reputation for quality, but nobody is perfect. Judge them by their response - not their mistake.

Darcy Forman
11-16-2012, 1:46 PM
I have the Incra master lift. Very solid well built, and I love the metal insert plates that are held in place with magnets. Other designs of lifts I have seen use plastic insert plates. While there is a place for plastic, I don't like it in my woodworking equipment.

zayd alle
11-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Everyone sees things differently, but I ditch companies if they are unwilling to correct the problem. Every batch of inventory has its lemons.

Rick Fisher
11-17-2012, 1:33 AM
I have 2 Jessem lifts .. If one broke, I would call Jessem and get parts to fix it ..

Guy Belleman
11-17-2012, 3:30 AM
The lift should not break, call Jessem. Another view though, I am very happy with the Triton router with its own internal lift, works very well. The Triton is powerful, yet quieter than my previous routers. A pleasure to use in a table.

Thomas love
11-18-2012, 8:04 AM
I have been quite happy with mine and it has seen much use over the past 7 or 8 years. When it did break it was the brass bushing on the threaded rod, 3$ approx to replace. Funny thing is that when it did break I was able to re configure a few parts and make it work while I waited for the new part... worked so well that when I finally recieved the new part it took me 6 months to get around to putting it back to original configuration and I still don't know why I even bothered. So what exactly Broke? like others have said it is built like a tank.

Tom

Cyrus Brewster 7
11-19-2012, 7:32 AM
Tim, to help with your decision if you decide to buy a different lift, the following information on the various lifts should help you out:

There are 3 main manufacturers -

Woodpeckers (PRL V2)
Jessem (Mast R Lift II)
Bench Dog (ProLift).

There are others, but these are the heavy duty ones that are the most popular. Also, Woodpeckers and Jessem both make a lighter duty lift, the Sidewinder 350 and the Rout R Lift II, respectively. (Rocker also has a lighter duty lift, the Rout R Lift FX, that is actually an older Jessem design.)

You can buy a motorized lift MLCS, but this only accepts 3.5" routers. Also, reviews are few and far between.

OK, now the confusing part:

The Kreg is a re-badged Woodpeckers PRL V2.

Incra does not make a lift. However, they sell versions of both the Woodpeckers PRL V2 and the Jessem Mast R Lift. The only difference is that each lift has an Incra top plate that excepts the Incra metal inserts described above by Darcy Forman. If you go with an "Incra Lift", check out Woodpeckers or Jessem' website for detailed information.

Woodpeckers and Jessem can be had with either a 9 1/4" x 11 3/4" or 8 1/4 x 11 3/4" top plate. The Bench Dog comes with only an 8 1/4" x 11 3/4" top plate. This matters if you decide to buy a table with a router plate cutout from the factory.

Now some distinction between the lifts:

Woodpeckers PRL V2 - This lift has a unique feature: it comes with a special "wrench" that allows you quickly raise or lower the carriage with a 1/4 turn of the wrench - no need the crank a bunch of times to change a bit. Then you fine tune the bit height with the wheel.

The main drawback to this is that (I believe) the wheel can only adjust the the bit a total of 1.5". Meaning, if the the wheel is set in the middle of its travel, and you are more than 3/4" from your desired final bit height, you will have to reposition the carriage with the special "wrench". This is a non-issue if you get the bit height close with the wrench or you opt for the Sidewinder 420 - it is the PRL V2 that comes equipped with a side crank. (I have the original PRL and installed the side crank - I would not want to use the lift without it.) 8 1/4" x 11 3/4" or 9 1/4" x 11 3/4" top plate

Jessem Mast R Lift II - This lift uses a crank that is inserted into the top to raise and lower the carriage. (Please be aware - I have read that Jessem states if you use a drill with a hex bit to speed the raising and lowering of the carriage the warrenty will be void.) The thing that makes this lift stand apart is that it can accept just about any popular router without the need for adapters. This can be handy if for some reason you need to make due with whatever router you currenly have on hand - new routers no problem. 8 1/4" x 11 3/4" or 9 1/4" x 11 3/4" top plate

Bench Dog ProLift (Sold by Rockler) - Also raised and lowered with a crank inserted into the top. Although the PRL V2 and the Mast R Lift II seem to be a bit more refined, the ProLift seems to be a bit more stout. The carriage is cast iron (at least it was before Rockler bought Bend Dog) with cooling fins that should stand up well to longer production runs - it should help keep the router cooler. 8 1/4" x 11 3/4" top plate size only, plastic inserts only

As to which to buy... all I can tell you is that all three have fans. As stated before, I own the original PRL but have used the PRL V2. The Woodpeckers PRL V2 is a fantastic lift.

If you want more/better info check out Woodpeckers', Jessem's and Rockler's websites. Hope this is not TMI.

As of this writing, Woodpeckers has both the PRL V2 and Sidewinder 420 for $250 refurbished (comes with same lifetime warranty)

http://www.woodpeck.com/specials.html

Keith Hankins
11-19-2012, 3:05 PM
I went with woodpeckers PRL back 8 years ago becuase it had a chain. Not regretted it and I have used the heck out of it over these years. It gets used almost as much as the TS. Put a PC7518 in it and never look back. Good luck.

Ruperto Mendiones
11-20-2012, 12:13 AM
@ Cerritos College there are 5 router stations with older Bench Dog lifts with metal insert rings. 600 students beat the *** out of them yet they survive. On the basis of that history, I purchased one. I find it quite satisfactory. Adjusting bit height by 1/32 increments is easy because the lift wrench has a calibrated dial.

Ruperto Mendiones

Randy Rizzo
11-20-2012, 11:12 AM
I have the Bench Dog Pro. My only negative comment, the plastic inserts attach with screws. Not only is it a PITA to change plates there is a very good chance if you're not careful those screws could wind up dropping into the motor case as you're changing bits or plates. Hasn't happened, yet. But, I'm of the the opinion if it can happen, it will! A magnetic insert would be a big plus. I know they're out there, but not sure if they'd fit.

Vijay Kumar
11-21-2012, 12:20 AM
Cyrus that is a great research on the lifts. Thanks for doing this.