PDA

View Full Version : Plastic fold over pocket name badges ?

Kasey Maxwell
11-16-2012, 3:14 AM
I have a client that needs plastic fold over pocket name badges like in the photo, anyone know where to get them for the best price ?

Thanks

Rodne Gold
11-16-2012, 6:28 AM
You can make them outa rowmark material , its a great way to explore acrylic and plastic bending.

Brian Terry
11-16-2012, 7:31 AM
B.F. Plastics has self adhesive clips that attatach to rowmark or the like. These clips are bent plastic that clip to the pocket.

Scott Shepherd
11-16-2012, 8:30 AM
Johnson Plastics sell them, but you have to buy 25 or more.

Kasey Maxwell
11-17-2012, 11:22 PM
what would be the best method to fold the rowmark over ? I was thinking a metal rod and heat the rod up with a heat gun ? Johnson's plastics web site is a mess, I have a very hard time finding anything there.

Thanks

Rodne Gold
11-18-2012, 3:01 AM
Buy a cheap strip heater , use your laser to score a line where the bend is , and bend on the line.
You can get one for less than $50 or make one , just google home made plastick strip heater (or wire heater)
http://www.delviesplastics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DPI&Category_Code=Plastic_Strip_Heaters
Alternatively , you can use a heat gun to heat it up where the bend will be and just fold it over..a strip bender will be MUCH better than this way as with a heat gun you have little control)

Mark Sipes
11-18-2012, 10:45 AM
"Johnson's plastics web site is a mess, I have a very hard time finding anything there."

Boy you are correct. They appear to be more positioned for information on processes. But if you go to the on-line catalogs you can see all the products. Page 91 of the Engraving Catalog you will find pocket clips with prices.

JDS has them also,

Bill Cunningham
11-18-2012, 8:16 PM
what would be the best method to fold the rowmark over ? I was thinking a metal rod and heat the rod up with a heat gun ? Johnson's plastics web site is a mess, I have a very hard time finding anything there.

Thanks

I use a fine point butane torch (Ronson will work well) you can draw a line along the bend point with a sharpie, then heat along the line. You'll know when it's ready, then just fold it over. If you don't do tons of them, It's pretty quick, and a LOT less money than a strip heater.

Matt Turner (physics)
11-18-2012, 10:20 PM
I've heard that you can make a nice bend by using multiple (~40) quick out-of-focus passes with the laser to heat the material along where you want the bend to be.

Rodne Gold
11-19-2012, 12:53 AM
By the time you have heated the plastic with a laser (you would have to do the reverse side otherwise it will show badly) and taken it off the machine , it will most likely have cooled too much .Its easier with a heat gun / strip bender or torch method.
Once you start plastic/acrylic bending and gluing , you will open your market up to a LOT more stuff , We built our own wire benders and they an indespensible part of our operation. It's a real cheap way to do a lot more than just lasering.....
Here's an example of what you can do with just a bender...