PDA

View Full Version : Need color suggestions

Eric Gourieux
11-16-2012, 1:30 AM

I turned this Norfolk Island Pine 8" dia x 4" and dropped a few drops of ca glue on a few cracks to reduce their movement while drying. Now, the CA has turned the wood yellow, as you can see in the first pic. So accepting the design opportunity, I dyed the whole thing yellow and then sanded it back. This has hidden the yellow staining from the CA, but I want to add another dye for contrast. Any suggestions for what to add over the yellow? Should I airbrush just part of it? It's going to a local gallery when finished, so I don't want to totally trash it.

Bernie Weishapl
11-16-2012, 9:45 AM
Donny I have airbrushed on yellow and sanded back some then added a light coat of airbrushed red. Sanded it back some. Had a variety of yellows, oranges, and red color. My wife loved it and it sold second day at the gallery.

Toby Bouder
11-16-2012, 10:01 AM
I have zero experience with dyeing wood but I have looked at lots of pieces. I was also going to suggest a red overcoat as I think it would look nice. Since Bernie has done it and liked it, I would go with his recommendation.

Bob Bergstrom
11-16-2012, 2:12 PM
Try it on some scrap wood first. Air brushing dyes with alcohol dries almost instantly. It will not penetrate much at all. Mixing with water will penetrate some. Brushing in dyes can change things quite a bit. Transtint yellow over sanded black will produce a green. Transtint black is not a true black. It has some blue in it and yellow and blue make green. So try things on some scrap before the real thing.

Jamie Donaldson
11-16-2012, 3:19 PM
I often start the coloring process with a wash coat of black diluted with alcohol, to reduce raising the grain. Wiping most of it back off before adding topcoats of other colors allows accenting the grain patterns without sanding back, because on any open grained wood like pine the wood acts like a sponge. Acrylic paint pigments diluted with alcohol will not penetrate very deeply, and might be a good coloring process for pines.