PDA

View Full Version : How Did This Happen!!!!

Chris Rosenberger
04-21-2005, 11:32 PM
A fellow woodworker & I made a 2 1/2 hour drive to Wood Werks in Columbus Ohio today to deliver a bandsaw base to fellow Creeker Barry Londrigan. Before I knew it there was an invoice in my hand & a 16" Powermatic jointer in my trailer & now it is in my shop.
I do not know what happened. What do I do now? :o

Christopher Pine
04-21-2005, 11:41 PM
what did you say si si six sixt sixteen inches??????? wiping drool off... if that as in wide????
Amazing and by the way what the heck did happen?

Chris

Silas Smith
04-21-2005, 11:54 PM
I refuse to acknowledge the gloat of someone who has a JOINTER bigger than the planer that I HOPE to get someday. 16 inches, I bet you are married to a supermodel who only wants to cook all day long.

Alan Turner
04-22-2005, 5:02 AM
Chris,
These things happen. Just get on with life.

Steve Stube
04-22-2005, 5:14 AM
What do I do now? You bring to me the smaller unit in the left foreground to make room. Sorry but that is the only help I can offer.

Bill Lewis
04-22-2005, 5:44 AM
You better not let that beast out of its cage. It looks hungry.

Tom Pritchard
04-22-2005, 5:47 AM
A fellow woodworker & I made a 2 1/2 hour drive to Wood Werks in Columbus Ohio today to deliver a bandsaw base to fellow Creeker Barry Londrigan. Before I knew it there was an invoice in my hand & a 16" Powermatic jointer in my trailer & now it is in my shop.
I do not know what happened. What do I do now? :o

Oh great Chris, yesterday I posted a gloat about my new 8" jointer, then I see this! Now I have jointer envy!!!! :p

What an incredible tool you have there Chris! I don't think I've ever seen one that large. Congratulations, and make sure to post pics after you get it in your shop.

BTW, did you get to keep that tractor too? :D

Bruce Overholt
04-22-2005, 6:12 AM
I don't know how it happened? I had similiar experience yesterday. I went out to Woodcraft Supply to pick up my 8" Powermatic Jointer, and they loaded this Coffin in my pickup truck. Looked liked I robbed someone's grave. However, I was was lucky enough to not get stopped by the police.

Bruce

Richard Wolf
04-22-2005, 7:36 AM
That's a serious jointer!
Richard

Jeff Sudmeier
04-22-2005, 8:30 AM
Wow 16inches wide!?!? That is huge! :) Congrats on the new toy.... Hope the delivery of the commision paid for the jointer...

Ken Fitzgerald
04-22-2005, 8:41 AM
Chris.....blame it on magnetism!........that little magnetic strip on your credit card develops an itch that must be scratched...... :rolleyes: Only a machine can scratch it properly...so it gets passed through that little machine at the business where you happen to be at the time the itch develops....... :rolleyes: Then that same magnetism.....it causes something else to become magnetic and be drawn to the steel in your pickup...... :rolleyes: Of couse a fork lift is required to provide the vertical lift but if you didn't provide the vertical lift it would hammer the side of your truck and look awful being "dragged" down the street as you left the business where your credit card devleloped it's itch..... :rolleyes: ;) :D Oh well.......Congrats on the new tool! Is that 16 as in INCHES?

Dan Gill
04-22-2005, 8:42 AM
Sheesh! That thing's big enough to have arresting gear and a deck officer!

Dennis Peacock
04-22-2005, 8:51 AM
Did it come with a complimentary F14 TomCat? :p :D

Jim Becker
04-22-2005, 9:10 AM
Some folks say that size doesn't matter, but in the case of jointers...bigger IS better! Congratulations. (And be thankful you have a loader that can handle that kind of weight... ;) )

Byron Trantham
04-22-2005, 9:36 AM
And how big is David Mark's jointer? :D

Jim O'Dell
04-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Gee, I thought a 16" long bed was a little on the short side....CONGRATS Chris! I'm not even to the point of being able to imagine the need for something that big. Just goes to show how far I have yet to go. Jim.

JayStPeter
04-22-2005, 10:40 AM
Yeah, I always make some small impulse purchases at the shows too :eek:

Good one.

Jay

lou sansone
04-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Congratulations on the mini jointer ;)

we do expect to see some photos as well ! Let us know how you like it after you get it set up.

lou

Chris Rosenberger
04-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Congratulations on the mini jointer ;)

we do expect to see some photos as well ! Let us know how you like it after you get it set up.

lou

It has been a long day. I have the jointer all setup & decided to take a little break. I have to finish putting tools away, cleanup & snap a few more pictures & then get them posted.

Barry Londrigan
04-22-2005, 10:19 PM
I was there....I SAW it happen....it was like he went into some sort of trance. Chris actually started talking to the jointer in some sort of joinery language that I could not understand. Ron Damon, the owner just nodded his head up and down in recognition of what was happening...he was all to familiar with this as he had seen it before....we all just watched as Chris just Frankenstien walked to his truck and, like on a Ouija board, the jointer followed. They continued their joinery gibberish all the way outside. The jointer crawled up in the trailer and Chris got in the truck. He just drove away without saying a word.

Chris Rosenberger
04-22-2005, 10:22 PM
:) Thanks for all of the replies.
I spent all day today getting the jointer uncrated, cleaned, set in place, wired, connected to dust collection system, adjusted & modified. It all went well without any hitches. The only thing I did not like after I got it set up was the depth gage. The one on my Delta DJ20 is visable while standing & very east to read. I had to kneel on the floor to see the one on the Powermatic & it was still very difficult to read. I decided to make a depth gage similar the the one on the Delta. It is alot better.
The cutter head on the Powermatic is different than the one they show on the internet. The knives on mine are 30mm X 12mm & they are set at a slight angle.I made a test cut on a scrap 2 X 6 & the cut was very smooth.:)

Chris Rosenberger
04-22-2005, 10:26 PM
Here is a picture of the new depth gauge & the cutter head.

Nick Mitchell
04-22-2005, 10:31 PM
Very nice Chris, and a nice shop as well. Is that osb on the floor?

How long are the tables and what's the hp ?

Congrats on the nice little jointer ;)

Jim Dunn
04-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Is that the thing sucking the blood from the band saw? Or is that the conduit for the wiring to fire that beast up? By the way great purchase and my wife is a model and does like to cook and clean fish :) NOT! (edit in case my wife see this post) "not" applies to the fish cleaning part only!

Chris Rosenberger
04-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Thanks Nick.
Yes I have osb on the floor. The tables are 47 1/4" long & ene to end the jointer measures 96" The motor is 7 1/2hp. I think it is over powered for thr type cutter head that it has.

lou sansone
04-22-2005, 10:57 PM
nice looking set up. Singe phase or 3 phase ?

lou

Chris Rosenberger
04-22-2005, 11:20 PM
It is 3 phase.

lou sansone
04-23-2005, 7:18 AM
excellent choice.... let us know how you like the helical head, I am sure that it is really goning to be nice. I am almost done with my shop tour series and maybe you could pick up the slack for evening ww entertainment

lou

John Hart
04-23-2005, 8:04 AM
Chris.....blame it on magnetism!....

That's a riot!!

I knew physics had something to do with my poverty :D

Corey Hallagan
04-23-2005, 10:41 AM
WOW!! Nowthat is a jointer. Very cool and congrats. Tom, most of us are envious of both of you guys!

Corey

Ellen Benkin
04-23-2005, 12:37 PM
The school where I take classes has a huge jointer like that. They also have a staff to attend to it. As a pure "user" it is great, and one terrific reason to continue taking classes there. Have fun with it!

Christopher Pine
04-23-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks Nick.
Yes I have osb on the floor. The tables are 47 1/4" long & ene to end the jointer measures 96" The motor is 7 1/2hp. I think it is over powered for thr type cutter head that it has.

??????? You can overpower somthing??

Tyler Howell
04-23-2005, 1:08 PM
Wow!

Nothing like the gold standard:cool:

Dan Forman
04-23-2005, 7:53 PM
Now that is one big honkin machine! Have fun.

Dan

Dale Thompson
04-23-2005, 10:33 PM
Chris,
Some folks are NEVER satisfied. ;) Now I am forced to pray for a tree big enough to work in your planer. :eek: :D

Dale T.