PDA

View Full Version : Remediations on pyographic tools

Ben Richardson
11-15-2012, 7:37 PM
I am looking for comments or recommendations for wood burning pen to mark my turnings. All comments gratefully accepted.
TIA!
Ben

Thom Sturgill
11-15-2012, 8:06 PM
There are several controllers out there in the $100 range. Any of them should be adequate, just check the type of connection to make sure they are compatible with the pens you buy, adapters are often available.

Pens run about $20-25 and there are two basic types - fixed and removable points. Removable saves a few bucks per in the short run, but might cost more in the long run as the connection wears out and you have to replace handles (or so I've been told) In addition there are tips where you buy nichrome wire and make your own. As to tip style, start with a good writing tip and add a skew, ball, and shader to start using the system for embellishment. After a year I have only 5 pens, all fixed tip. Two are shaders and the others are as mentioned. I will be buying a 'diy' pen for special tip shapes. Since you would probably want at least two handles anyway, if you only buy a few pens to start, the investment in fixed tip is not much more than for removable tip systems.

Jim Burr
11-15-2012, 9:13 PM
To add to Thom really good description; Burnmaster and Optima are...in general!!!!! are the usual suspects. I use an Optima with 2 ports and 5 pens. YMMV and mine works great for what I do

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2012, 9:23 PM
I also have the Optima with 2 ports and 4 pens. Had 6 but sold 2 as I never used them. Great machine.