PDA

View Full Version : Removing Anchorseal?

Phil St.Germain
11-15-2012, 9:09 AM
I have a couple of Apple bowls that I turned and did not leave quite thick enough. They went VERY oval and I can not return them. The problem is they are covered with Anchorseal. How do I get the stuff off so that I can finish sand the bowl? Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Phil

Prashun Patel
11-15-2012, 9:27 AM
Hmmm. You can try scraping most of the mass off manually.
The rest of the wax should be oil-soluble, so mineral spirits might get most of it.

Dan Hintz
11-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Wash heavily with mineral spirits, let dry, then sand.

Mike Cruz
11-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Finish? You already have a really nice wax finish on there. Why would you want to remove it? ;)

Steve Schlumpf
11-15-2012, 6:54 PM
Phil... I have had good luck using denatured alcohol (DNA) to remove wax. Mineral spirits works - just takes a lot longer than I like. Also - I agree with Dan - you will need to lightly sand things if you are not going to return it because MS or DNA will raise the grain just a bit.

Bill Boehme
11-15-2012, 7:53 PM
Naphtha works very well. Also, acetone and MEK (except that you can't get it any longer) work well. In the summer here in Texas, you can just sit it out in the sun for a couple days and it will all soak into the wood or maybe it evaporates -- I can't really tell, but the wood doesn't show any sign of being waxy.