PDA

View Full Version : Lock your keys in the car?

Jerry Clark
04-21-2005, 9:46 PM
I am forwarding this on as it is interesting--I have not tried it!

This is good for those of you who have cars with "remote-unlockable" doors.

Subject: Locked the keys in the car?

This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone:

You lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are home, call someone at home on your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the other person at your home press the unlock button on the spare remote, holding it near the phone on their end. Your car will unlock.

Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: *It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!"

Jim Becker
04-21-2005, 9:55 PM
Sorry, Jerry...not so. See http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

Bruce Shiverdecker
04-21-2005, 11:46 PM
Here's something that works for "Two KEY" cars; with one for doors and one for ignition. Separate them onto two rings. That way you only have the ignition key in the car. The door key is in your pocket or purse.

Bruce

Bill Lewis
04-22-2005, 7:00 AM
Sounds like another one for "Mythbusters" to bust.

Dan Mages
04-22-2005, 7:13 AM
Without going into the technical details, here is how this thing fails.

Most remote key fobs work off low frequency RF. The microphone nor the speaker in your cell phone are designed to transmit or receive RF.

Have a good day.

Dan

John Hart
04-22-2005, 7:25 AM
I prefer the "smash the window with a hammer" technique.:D

Jeff Sudmeier
04-22-2005, 8:27 AM
John,

We have done that... we were out hunting and my uncle locked his keys in the truck. We were in hot pursuit of a deer... before anyone could react he had smashed the small back window.... My cousin had a spare key on his ring! :)

Jerry Clark
04-22-2005, 9:20 AM
Sorry, I guess I should have tried it-- Sounded to good to be true!:(

John Shuk
04-22-2005, 4:36 PM
If you get the VIN # you can go to a dealer and show your id and get a key cut on the spot to open the doors. BBeen there done that.

John Hart
04-22-2005, 4:45 PM
Here's a Sniglet from 1984:

IGNISECOND (ig' ni sek und) n. The overlapping moment of time when the hand is locking the car door even as the brain is saying "my keys are in there!"

Michael McDuffie
04-22-2005, 6:50 PM
Once every ten tears or so I have a car lock incident. Wednesday, I broke the key halfway off in the trunk on my Mercedes, had to walk three blocks home to get the spare.
I hope that resets the count down.

Michael

Dar Lounsbury
04-22-2005, 8:45 PM
Working as a Locksmith, I see people locked out of their cars almost everyday. One of the hardest things to sell them is a 'spare key'.

A $2.00 key or a $75 lockout, you do the math. Not very bright, IMHO.

John Hart
04-23-2005, 6:35 AM
A $2.00 key or a $75 lockout, you do the math. Not very bright, IMHO.

There's a guy on the radio that calls this the "Stupid Tax". The money you spend to learn a lesson.:eek:

Russ Filtz
04-23-2005, 1:49 PM
I do it all the time! That's why I like my plastic "credit card" key that came with my Ford. I keep it in my wallet. So far I haven't locked both my keys AND my wallet in the car at the same time!

Bill Arnold
04-25-2005, 4:45 AM
...I worked with who told the story of walking up to his car with keys and remote in hand. Pressed the remote. Door would not unlock. Said a few choice words. Then, in a most pleasant voice, his wife said, "Honey, just use the key to unlock the door." :rolleyes:

:eek:

Dennis McDonaugh
04-27-2005, 8:45 PM
Two years ago we took a vacation to Boston to see our son and rented a car in the airport. We got a free upgrade and it was a pretty nice car with the remote keyless thingie. Our son lives in an apartment so he got us a room in a hotel a couple miles away. The last morning we come down with our bags and our car just doesn't look right. Its beat up and scratched and looks like someone was in a police chase with it. So I say what the heck? LOML looks at it and says OMG what happened? In my head I'm wondering how I am going to explain this to the car rental company and the insurance company. I hit the button to open the trunk and the car two spaces over opens. Boy talk about relief. I guess we were so focused on the damaged car we didn't realize it was in the wrong spot. Had different plates to boot.