PDA

View Full Version : Natural edge cherry

Toby Bouder
11-14-2012, 7:13 PM
Starting to do some natural edged bowls. I think I should have turned and sanded to final size when green, some of my rough outs have warped too much to re-turn. Oh well I'm still learning. C&C please.

edit 8.25" x 4.25" Watco Butcher Block finish

Dennis Ford
11-14-2012, 7:18 PM
Nice work on this one, it is very well balanced. The color contrast is very nice too.
A little warping does not hurt the appearance of natural edge bowls like this; turned once to finish thickness works fine.

Roger Chandler
11-14-2012, 7:24 PM
Very nice bowl here.......super form with the deep side walls and your thickness is pretty uniform all the way around the rim. This one could stand to have maybe another 1/8" off the thickness, but this is a very well done piece, Toby....congrats!

Jim Burr
11-14-2012, 7:27 PM
Great job Toby!! First...what size, finish, so on. Second, it looks like it goes flat in about the bottom 1/3...could be the picture too or a more gentle curve than my bifocals can see! Some kind of tuck or gentle radius on the foot...it looks like it goes "plop" on the sheet. You kept the bark on and finished it really well!

Thomas Canfield
11-14-2012, 7:27 PM
You did not give size and finish, but it is a good job. Finishing dry wood does give a different look from finishing green. I have found that the 10% of diameter thickness for rough turn does seem to be a little low for some of the cherry family, especially Cherry Laurel, and the warpage if turn to finish thickness gets some wierd warp and bottom needs to either be round or sanded flat after warping.

Toby Bouder
11-14-2012, 7:41 PM
Great job Toby!! First...what size, finish, so on. Second, it looks like it goes flat in about the bottom 1/3...could be the picture too or a more gentle curve than my bifocals can see! Some kind of tuck or gentle radius on the foot...it looks like it goes "plop" on the sheet. You kept the bark on and finished it really well!
Sorry, I wasn't thinking. 8.25" x 4.25" Watco Butcher Block finish. Jim, I do like a radius on the foot but I have also seen some like this in books and magazines, I guess it's just personal preference. I'm still experimenting with form and style.

Toby Bouder
11-14-2012, 7:43 PM
You did not give size and finish, but it is a good job. Finishing dry wood does give a different look from finishing green. I have found that the 10% of diameter thickness for rough turn does seem to be a little low for some of the cherry family, especially Cherry Laurel, and the warpage if turn to finish thickness gets some wierd warp and bottom needs to either be round or sanded flat after warping.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking. 8.25" x 4.25" Watco Butcher Block finish.

Toby Bouder
11-14-2012, 7:48 PM
[

There is about a 1" flat area on the very inside bottom but the sides have a gentle even curve into the flat.

paul vechart
11-14-2012, 8:38 PM
Nice bowl Toby...I like it!

Mark Hubl
11-14-2012, 11:39 PM
Nice work Toby. I have not done many natural edge bowls, but they present very distinct challenges. You did a really nice job with a consistent thickness around the edge and keeping the bark on. You also got the blank lined up well, nice eveness to the sap and heart wood, good symmetry. The bottom seems a bit wide, but on a piece with tall proportions like this I think it is less of a problem. I think it is a very good effort. Hope to see some more.

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2012, 12:30 AM
Really nice NE. Always a challenge keeping the bark on.