PDA

View Full Version : Need a source for briar burl

Scott Hackler
11-14-2012, 4:50 PM
I haven't stopped thinking about how cool Rick's smoking pipe was and although I don't smoke a pipe, my friend does. If I could secure a piece of briar burl in time to turn him a pipe... he would be getting it for a Christmas present.

Anyone have a source (or a chunk of it)????

John Kent
11-14-2012, 8:00 PM
Scott, I would PM Rick and ask him where he got his briar, it might save you some time.
There are tons of places to get briar, you can buy pipe kits with holes already drilled. Mark Tinsky sells kits or just the briar, you can go to his website. I think the best thing you can do is go to pipe makers forum, they talk about where they get their briar and just about anything regarding the making of pipes. Lots of good information on that site.

Mark Hubl
11-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Scott, Did you check out some of the pipe makers web sites. They have some great info, I have lurked there looking for tools to use in my carving efforts. I believe that several of the well known turners did pipes in their early careers, I know that William Hunter did. I toyed with a pipe many many years ago, really dont like smoking anymore, but I love the work of pipe makers. Kind of a natural crossover for turners since a lot of pipe makers use lathes for some of the work.

Scott Hackler
11-14-2012, 11:51 PM
Found a few online sources for briar blanks that have been pretty roughed for pipe making. I don't smoke (other than a cigar once in a great while), but I would like to see if I could make a few for gifts......and just to see if I can!!

Marvin Hasenak
11-15-2012, 1:53 AM
For starting out I recommend sticking with the ones that are pre drilled for the bowl and stem. There is science to getting them drilled correctly and the bowls are drilled with special drills. You can try this place http://www.amsmoke.com/amsmoke_catalog.html or the auction site. If you want to really jump in, plan on buying the specialty drills and cutters. It was fun when I smoked, now I only make one every so often for gifts or just to make one.