PDA

View Full Version : Jatoba & Iron Entry Doors

Sam Murdoch
11-14-2012, 4:18 PM
Here are a pair of doors that I designed and built that are unusual and, I think, pretty nice. The side in the photos is the colder entry way side. Hard to photograph because of the lighting and the size of the room but I think you get the idea. They have been in use for about 3 years now.

The iron work is by a very talented local guy. He worked with me to detail the iron work, sized the pintels, designed the harpoon handles and was an immense help with the install.

They are 2 sided 3/4" solid Jatoba with a 3/8 MDF core wrapped with 3/16" x 3" iron bands. The glass is 3/8" tempered glass and it is the thickness of the glass that determined the thickness of the MDF core. The Jatoba face boards are glued up as 4 separate panels and each panel is kept just an 1/8" shy of the 7/8" wide exterior wood frame on the sides to allow for some movement within the frame whereas the MDF core is let into the wood frame. The iron bands completely wrap the doors and form the hinges that rests on the pintels. We overbored the through bolt holes in the solid wood only. Through the iron bands and the MDF core the bolts are tight and serve to sandwich the assembly. There are no other fastenings holding the pieces together.

These doors weigh about 350 lbs. The operating door is held closed to the fixed panel with a 5/8" earth magnet set into the back of the astragal at each band so that the magnet catches the band of the fixed panel. The fixed panel on the left is held top and bottom on the interior side with 2 custom forged deadbolts.

Originally my client wanted the glass to be unobstructed but I persuaded him with drawings that the center stiles were essential to keep the structure of the door and to hold the glass in place. The need for an astragal kind of made that a moot point in any event. On this face the glass is kept in place with a metal hoop, but on the other face the Jatoba panel was recessed to receive the glass.

245541 245542 245543 245544

Jay Jolliffe
11-14-2012, 4:48 PM
Nice job Sam. I really like the hinges with the harpoon on it....Great job....350 lbs....that must of been fun to install. Use a fork lift?:)

Sam Murdoch
11-14-2012, 8:00 PM
Nice job Sam. I really like the hinges with the harpoon on it....Great job....350 lbs....that must of been fun to install. Use a fork lift?:)

Thanks Jay. Not so great a weight though, I did write 350 lbs each but that would mean that the 3/8 MDF core was really made of steel. :rolleyes: The combined weight was about 350 lbs, and yes that was plenty heavy enough, though not fork lift worthy. Sorry about that!

The harpoon was suggested by the client's intent that the doors should evoke a pair of old ship hatch covers.

Sam Murdoch
11-16-2012, 11:06 AM
... and here is a photo pre casing showing the pintels and lags holding up these weighty doors:

doug faist
11-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Unbelievable, Sam! Fantastic job.
I'm curious, are these in a home, commercial building, or what?
Doug

Peter Quinn
11-16-2012, 7:20 PM
Those are stunning Sam. Great design, I love the iron work. My back hurts just thinking about hanging that much Jatoba. I saw this on my phone earlier and couldn't wait to get home and see the pics on the big screen! Thanks for sharing that.

Bill ThompsonNM
11-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Thank you for the pictures Sam, These are why I read Internet forums.. True inspiration! Nice Work!

Sam Murdoch
11-16-2012, 11:26 PM
Thank you guys for your enthusiasm and compliments. Doug, these are in a private home. The photos are taken from the "mud room". The doors open into stairway hall. Lots of very nice custom work in this home but I got in near the end for these doors and a couple of other more modest pieces. Happy for the challenge.