PDA

View Full Version : Malachite inlay on cherry bowl

Toby Bouder
11-14-2012, 2:55 PM
I have been experimenting with rim treatments. This is a cherry bowl 9.75" x 4.5". I filled the groove with crushed malachite then saturated it with CA glue then sanded it back. Mahoney's Walnut Oil finish.
C&C welcome.

Dave Mueller
11-14-2012, 4:32 PM
Toby,
Nice job, especially with the slanted rim and base. The malachite is a nice added touch.
Dave

Steve Doerr
11-14-2012, 4:50 PM
Good job on the inlay Toby and a nice looking bowl. Interesting sap wood on that cherry. Gives the bowl a really unique look.
Steve

Carl Hackman
11-15-2012, 7:53 AM
I really like that inlay Toby. Where did you get the malachite from?

Toby Bouder
11-15-2012, 8:16 AM
I really like that inlay Toby. Where did you get the malachite from?

Thanks Carl. I got it off of ebay it was only a couple bucks for a string of malachite chips about 15" long. Mine came from China but it took a few weeks to arrive.

Carl Hackman
11-15-2012, 8:39 AM
Thanks Carl. I got it off of ebay it was only a couple bucks for a string of malachite chips about 15" long. Mine came from China but it took a few weeks to arrive.

Thanks Toby, I'll look into getting some :)

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2012, 9:20 AM
That adds a nice touch to a good looking bowl.

Doug W Swanson
11-15-2012, 6:29 PM
I'm going to have to get some malachite. It looks really nice with the cherry. How hard is the malachite to work with?

Toby Bouder
11-15-2012, 6:45 PM
I'm going to have to get some malachite. It looks really nice with the cherry. How hard is the malachite to work with?
Doug it is pretty easy to do. Malachite has a hardness of about 3.5 to 4 on the Mohs scale, about the same as copper. I sands fairly easily. I crushed mine then put it through a kitchen strainer to end up with a even powder with no big chunks.

Steve Schlumpf
11-15-2012, 6:51 PM
I like the Malachite/Cherry look. As the Cherry ages, the color deepens and the Malachite works even better! Good looking bowl. Not a big fan of feet on bowls ... but this works.

Toby Bouder
11-15-2012, 6:57 PM
I like the Malachite/Cherry look. As the Cherry ages, the color deepens and the Malachite works even better! Good looking bowl. Not a big fan of feet on bowls ... but this works.
I agree Steve, I don't particularly like a foot on bowls. Since I'm new at this I thought I should try lots of different looks. Almost all of my other bowls have either no foot or a barely noticeable one.

Steve Schlumpf
11-15-2012, 7:00 PM
Toby - as it is hard to see in the photos... do you concave the inside of the foot? Just asking as it sure makes it easier for the bowl to sit without wobbling...

Toby Bouder
11-15-2012, 7:19 PM
Toby - as it is hard to see in the photos... do you concave the inside of the foot? Just asking as it sure makes it easier for the bowl to sit without wobbling...
Yes absolutely, I always make sure of that. Thanks for checking. I use a homemade doughnut chuck to do almost all of my bowl bases.