PDA

View Full Version : A need for more horses

Gregory King
11-14-2012, 1:32 PM
Working on the new home and milling out some baseboard with a PC 895, tells me that I have a real need for a larger router. Looks like the range of 3 1/4 HP is the way to go. Is the PC 7518 a good option or what else? I like the Makita, but I seem to have a real soft spot for PC stuff. Although the speed controllers are not all that they are bragged up to be. [A bad past experience that I will share later]. I know that some will say Festool, but not in my money league right now. Thanks, Greg

Rick Potter
11-14-2012, 1:55 PM
The PC 7518 is pretty much the standard. Many router lifts are configured for it. I have two, and they are real workhorses.

About the speed controllers. I got both of mine used. One had been in a cabinet shop, and the 5 speed controller did not work properly. I simply removed the cover and blew out the sawdust around the switch, and it has been fine since. Don't know about the electronic variable speed routers.

I see them often on CL in the $150 range.

Rick Potter

Stephen Cherry
11-14-2012, 1:55 PM
Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but my $150 delta 1 hp HD shaper has much more ability to produce moldings than my PC 7518. With a small shaper, a corrugated head, and maybe a feeder you would be set up to make a house full of moldings.

It really is a night and day difference when anything other than a small cut is involved.

Gregory King
11-14-2012, 2:17 PM
Rick and Steven, I should have added the fact that I have the router in one of Norm's router stations. Its the first time that I have done any large amount of work with the set-up, and I could not be any happier with the adjustable fence system and the dust collection as well that is mounted in a shop vac setup. A 4" portable collector system is on my radar as well to enhance even more. I was running a PC base mold profiler on 8" pine, [My reminder for some pictures tonite] to the tune of several hundred feet. Starting out we were running the pieces in two stages to decrease the load on the 890. Now last nite, we decided to try the complete proflie in one pass. We slowed the feed rate and the pieces came out exceptional but the motor did get quite warm, but not super hot to the touch. So that prompts me to save my 890 for lighter projects and add a 3 1/4 to the team. All in all, the router station is a super setup for me. Greg

Huck Schwee
11-14-2012, 5:04 PM
I know a lot of people are fans of the Triton router (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/triton3-14hpplungerouter.aspx) as well. I have never used it personally.

Myk Rian
11-14-2012, 5:12 PM
For running off a house full of molding, a shaper is the better choice.

Jeff Duncan
11-14-2012, 5:18 PM
When motors are running they're going to get warm, if your working them they'll get very warm.....keep running your moldings, your fine! Unless your just itching to buy new tools? I've made due with a small collection of PC 690's for many years now and occasionally run them until they are almost too hot to touch, no problem unless your doing it everyday. In which case you should think about an upgrade;)

good luck,
JeffD

Stephen Cherry
11-14-2012, 5:31 PM
When motors are running they're going to get warm, if your working them they'll get very warm.....keep running your moldings, your fine!

I've got a big 220 volt PC router in my cr onsrud inverted pin router, and it can get HOT when used.