PDA

View Full Version : Mystery Trouble With Universal Laser X100!

Julio Carreon-Reyes
11-14-2012, 12:59 PM

My laser set up (Universal Laser X-100, made in 1998) was working great until I tried to move the system into a new space. I moved the set up form an office space to my recently cleaned-out garage / workshop. The move it self was not at all traumatic, but once the machine was back on line it started frying the 'OUTPUT COUPLER' portion of the laser tube (a Diamond G100, pictured above). I was able to test another tube (graciously sent over by EVERGREEN as they worked to repair my tube) in the machine and it did the same type of damage to the same part in very short order (less than 20 mins cutting at full power). Given this test with the loaner laser, I am confident that the problem is with my machine (and not a with the tube /parts) and is either environmental (too moist, leading to condensation on the optics), electrical (perhaps the power supply is over-powering the laser), or physical (the laser tube is not sitting correctly in the harness, causing some unexpected scattering / reflecting).

Addendum: I am starting to think that the engraver not being level (the floor of the new shop slopes significantly) might have contributed to this. Has anyone had a similar problem / experience with this?

These are just my best guesses thus far, but I am out of my depth in troubleshooting this situation.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Julio