PDA

View Full Version : Table saw electrical question

Dick Holt
11-14-2012, 9:55 AM
Is it OK to plug my table saw (2 H.P., 8.6 amps, 220V) into a 20 amp. circuit? My concern is, will the breaker trip soon enough if there is a problem?
Thanks for your help.

Dick

glenn bradley
11-14-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm not an electrician <<< disclaimer >>>. The breaker is there to protect the circuit, not what is plugged into it. Do not think of the circuit breaker as something to protect your tools. If conditions arise that will threaten the integrity of the circuit (physical media, temperature, etc.) the breaker will trip.

Lee Schierer
11-14-2012, 11:11 AM
If the circuit is a 220 volt circuit, the saw should not trip the 20 amp breaker under normal circumstances. Your saw motor should have internal protection to prevent damage to the motor should you stall the blade.

Stan Krupowies
11-14-2012, 11:37 AM
As others have said, the circuit breaker is sized to protect the wiring of the circuit, not the equipment plugged into it. If a serious issue develops with your saw such as a direct short circuit, the breaker will trip. If current draw of equipment was what dictated breaker sizes then lamps would be on 1/2 amp breakers.