PDA

View Full Version : HD Video Cameras

Sean Troy
11-14-2012, 9:23 AM
Hey all, my wife asked about getting an HD Video camera and I'm not at all up to speed on them. She is looking for one that won't break the bank, easy to upload video to PC and good quality HD video. What should we be looking for? The camera we have now in a mini DV and not HD. Thanks, Sean

Tom Fischer
11-14-2012, 10:07 AM
I have a Samsung SMX-F40. Not an HD.
I only bought it to make a couple of Youtubes, just for fun.
didn't want to spend big $$$, so went right for the re-furbished, from Amazon.
Paid about 1/2 of new price
When the box showed up a few days, everything looked like new.
Batteries were still shrink-wrapped.
Have bought factory re-furbished a few times now, never a problem.

Andrew Pitonyak
11-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Define what you need, how much you will shoot, and what you will do with the video. For example, if you will not shoot a lot of video and simply want something that you might have with you, many cameras these days are able to shoot HD video. I happen to like and use Canon cameras, so I know their line-up better than others...

The Canon Rebel T3 can shoot video.
The Canon Rebel T3i can shoot HD video at 1080 (what you really want).

So, you can purchase a DSLR and shoot decent video. What do you really get by moving to a regular video camera? They usually have much better zoom (zoom way in, and then way out) for the money than you will have with a DSLR. Even the Canon PowerShot SX500 IS can shoot in 720P, which is pretty good / better than nothing.

I have an HV30, which I like very much. The disadvantage is that it stores video on tape that I then need to transfer over Firewire (I hate firewire, it is usually temperamental, especially on Windows.... seems to work fine for me on Linux, however, so I expect it would probably work fine on MAC as well)

Disclaimer: I have not used any of the currently available video cameras.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders

Look at the HF R200, it has built in image stabilization, is inexpensive, and stores video on a memory card (so you should be able to just pull the card and drop it into a memory card reader on your computer).

If you buy a specific camera, I expect all current video cameras to record in 1080P.

So, look to see how you move the video to the computer.
How is video stored / recorded (hard drive, video card)
How is video moved to the computer (cable from camera, insert memory card in computer, etc)
If I want a bigger battery, can I do that? The HF R200 has great reviews and is inexpensive, but you cannot use a different sized battery.

Peter Kelly
11-14-2012, 1:36 PM
So, you can purchase a DSLR and shoot decent video. What do you really get by moving to a regular video camera? They usually have much better zoom (zoom way in, and then way out) for the money than you will have with a DSLR. Even the Canon PowerShot SX500 IS can shoot in 720P, which is pretty good / better than nothing.

A bit awkward to use and somewhat steeper learning curve but video from a DSLR looks awesome. Much more film-like quality to the image.

I recently purchased a Canon Vixia HF R300 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404777,00.asp) for documentation here at work. Shoots a decent HD image, simple to use, $375 or so from Adorama. My only complaint is the short battery life.

Whatever you end up with, make sure you get a higher speed SD card to go with it. I like the Sandisk Extreme Pro (http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Class-Memory-SDSDXPA-032G-X46/dp/B005LFT3QG/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1352918008&sr=1-2&keywords=high+speed+sd+card) ones.

Andrew Pitonyak
11-14-2012, 4:59 PM
A bit awkward to use and somewhat steeper learning curve but video from a DSLR looks awesome. Much more film-like quality to the image.

Yeah, it is of course easier to shoot video on a dedicated camera :-)

On the other hand, if I updated my Canon 30D, I could then shoot some video that I might have otherwise missed because i only wanted to bring one camera!

Sean Troy
11-14-2012, 5:18 PM
Define what you need, how much you will shoot, and what you will do with the video. For example, if you will not shoot a lot of video and simply want something that you might have with you, many cameras these days are able to shoot HD video. I happen to like and use Canon cameras, so I know their line-up better than others...

The Canon Rebel T3 can shoot video.
The Canon Rebel T3i can shoot HD video at 1080 (what you really want).

I have an HV30, which I like very much. The disadvantage is that it stores video on tape that I then need to transfer over Firewire (I hate firewire, it is usually temperamental, especially on Windows.... seems to work fine for me on Linux, however, so I expect it would probably work fine on MAC as well)

Disclaimer: I have not used any of the currently available video cameras.
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/camcorders/consumer_camcorders

Look at the HF R200, it has built in image stabilization, is inexpensive, and stores video on a memory card (so you should be able to just pull the card and drop it into a memory card reader on your computer).

If you buy a specific camera, I expect all current video cameras to record in 1080P.

So, look to see how you move the video to the computer.
How is video stored / recorded (hard drive, video card)
How is video moved to the computer (cable from camera, insert memory card in computer, etc)
If I want a bigger battery, can I do that? The HF R200 has great reviews and is inexpensive, but you cannot use a different sized battery.

I have a Nikon D90 I can do short videos with but would prefer a dedicated Vid Camera for longer shoots. Both my girls are in sports and would like to capture that plus general family outing etc...

Myk Rian
11-15-2012, 11:15 AM
We have a Canon Vixia HG20 HD camcorder. I love it.
One thing to consider is the file type the cam saves. A HD video is a m2ts file, and not exactly user friendly for making a DVD with. Many viewer programs can't open them, and when you do get them to open, it can be choppy. It takes a lot of computer to view them successfully.
Those files will write to a DVD and make a BlueRay readable disc. To create a regular DVD, you need to convert them. It takes a lot of computer power to do it within a reasonable time.
I've had 1 hour videos take 7-8 hours to convert.

Todd Burch
11-15-2012, 12:27 PM
I have a Nikon D90 I can do short videos with but would prefer a dedicated Vid Camera for longer shoots. Both my girls are in sports and would like to capture that plus general family outing etc...

I have the same DSLR, and I would not recommend it as a primary HD video camera. No autofocus (other than the initial focusing that is slow), and sound is only MONO.

I have a couple GoPro's that are very small and shoot HD video just fine. Good for very wide shots, medium and normal zoom. Will work in the rain in their cases - lots of accessories available. I think I paid $199 each. The newer version is out now - the Hero3 I think.

Lots of opinions. Lots of options.

Sean Troy
11-15-2012, 12:34 PM
We have a Canon Vixia HG20 HD camcorder. I love it.
One thing to consider is the file type the cam saves. A HD video is a m2ts file, and not exactly user friendly for making a DVD with. Many viewer programs can't open them, and when you do get them to open, it can be choppy. It takes a lot of computer to view them successfully.
Those files will write to a DVD and make a BlueRay readable disc. To create a regular DVD, you need to convert them. It takes a lot of computer power to do it within a reasonable time.
I've had 1 hour videos take 7-8 hours to convert.

Not a problem with power, i7 processor and 16 gig ram. Is there any ones with 3.0 USB or HDMI connections? Thanks, Sean

Myk Rian
11-15-2012, 12:51 PM
Not a problem with power, i7 processor and 16 gig ram. Is there any ones with 3.0 USB or HDMI connections? Thanks, Sean

Mine has a mini HDMI connection. I suppose many do.
I found that B&H photovideo is a great place to do business with.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/

Andrew Pitonyak
11-16-2012, 1:32 AM

An i7 with the correct software can speed things up considerably. I went from 8+ hours to significantly less. Then again, I also went from 32 bit windows rendering software to 64-bit Linux. It is possible that the windows software was also making other corrections (such as lighting / color changes), but I never specifically set those types of corrections (and my Linux software that I use does not even support those corrections).

The transitions that you use can affect render time....

As for HDMI output, in general, I don't expect that to help you unless you simply want to send the output to a monitor (computers do not come standard with HDMI in, no even sure if it exists)

Sean Troy
11-16-2012, 8:39 AM
An i7 with the correct software can speed things up considerably. I went from 8+ hours to significantly less. Then again, I also went from 32 bit windows rendering software to 64-bit Linux. It is possible that the windows software was also making other corrections (such as lighting / color changes), but I never specifically set those types of corrections (and my Linux software that I use does not even support those corrections).

The transitions that you use can affect render time....

As for HDMI output, in general, I don't expect that to help you unless you simply want to send the output to a monitor (computers do not come standard with HDMI in, no even sure if it exists)

I have HDMI in and USB 3.0. Wouldn't I need to use the HDMI in for true HD picture download to computer? thanks, Sean

Myk Rian
11-16-2012, 9:49 AM
I transfer the files through the USB port.
HDMI will connect directly to a Hauppauge converter. I've been considering one of those.

Ole Anderson
11-16-2012, 9:57 AM
I have a Canon T2i and have used it for occasional video. Choice of SD card is critical, as stated, stick to SanDisk Extreme from a reputable dealer like B&H, I hear there is a lot of pirated cheap knockoffs on EBay. I took my new camera on a trip to Alaska and it kept giving me record errors while trying to capture whales breaching. I had an off brand card card provided by a local procamera shop that wasn't up to the task. Also as stated, go with a dedicated video camera if video is your priority.

One thing to keep in mind is that regular (not BluRay) DVD does not have the specs to record full HD. So to play full HD on your TV, you need a HDMI cable that fits your camera, or you need a TV that accepts SD cards, or you hook your computer to your TV with an HDMI cable (if your computer has that option) or you need to author to a BluRay disk.

Andrew Pitonyak
11-16-2012, 5:02 PM
I have HDMI in and USB 3.0. Wouldn't I need to use the HDMI in for true HD picture download to computer? thanks, Sean

Your camera should support a method to take the video from the camera and dump it to a computer in the full recorded resolution. I am not aware of any consumer video card that supports input directly to a computer using HDMI. I would expect that you would need to purchase a converter that accepted HDMI input and then output using some other connection method (such as USB 3).

Jim Becker
11-16-2012, 9:29 PM
Honestly, I use my DSLR (Nikon D3100) for HD video and it does a better job than any of the dedicated cameras, although it isn't quite as "point and shoot".

Bill Cunningham
11-17-2012, 8:32 PM
I just bought a Nikon P510 which has everything I need 1080p-VHS, 42x z00m 16mp, x2 digital zoom, more features than I can remember. The only draw back as far as video is concerned is the 4 gig file size limit which at 1080p is about 28min., but 720p is just as good for most stuff, and with that 42x zoom @16mp with doubler you still get amazing pictures and you don't even have to be in the same physical neighborhood as your subject. I love this camera (http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Compact-Digital-Cameras/26329/COOLPIX-P510.html)..

Jim Matthews
11-18-2012, 8:16 PM
http://gopro.com/

Bullet proof, easy to use, excellent optics.
It's the Kodak Brownie of HD video.

Sean Troy
11-19-2012, 7:50 AM
Honestly, I use my DSLR (Nikon D3100) for HD video and it does a better job than any of the dedicated cameras, although it isn't quite as "point and shoot".
I use my D90 for video also but i need to take more video that I'm able to on the D90. Lots of indoor sport video. Taking an hour of video and editing down to say 15 min. worth is next to impossible with a DSLR. Focus would also be harder with DSLR. I am pretty amazed with what a camera can do as far as video though.

Ole Anderson
11-19-2012, 9:00 AM
The GoPro is an amazing little camera, I imagine Deadliest Catch and other reality shows buys them by the hundreds as disposable HD cameras. My son has one and edits the video and posts it on Facebook and YouTube, from his motorcycle blasting through the woods, on his helmet downhill skiing and while wakeboarding. But it is not intended as a versatile video camera, OK if you want a super wide angle shot from a helmet or handlebar mount, but not really intended for being hand held. No zoom. It is a little square box. I suppose you could mount one to the to the top of your DSLR and get video and photographs simultaneously.

Sean Troy
11-19-2012, 10:02 AM
The GoPro is an amazing little camera, I imagine Deadliest Catch and other reality shows buys them by the hundreds as disposable HD cameras. My son has one and edits the video and posts it on Facebook and YouTube, from his motorcycle blasting through the woods, on his helmet downhill skiing and while wakeboarding. But it is not intended as a versatile video camera, OK if you want a super wide angle shot from a helmet or handlebar mount, but not really intended for being hand held. No zoom. It is a little square box. I suppose you could mount one to the to the top of your DSLR and get video and photographs simultaneously.
Mounting them together would surely turn some heads ! Might be a fun thing to try.

Jim Matthews
11-19-2012, 3:56 PM
They're cheap, nearly indestructible, and easy to resell if it's not for you.

Most any other DSLR will be replaced by a more advanced model in a matter of months.

Making movies is something lots of us think we want to do.

I would suggest buying the cheapest camera to meet your specs and spend the rest on an editing suite of software.
To misquote Ansel Adams, "Owning a camera without a MacBook is like owning a puppy without a leash".

Jim Becker
11-19-2012, 6:52 PM
I use my D90 for video also but i need to take more video that I'm able to on the D90. Lots of indoor sport video. Taking an hour of video and editing down to say 15 min. worth is next to impossible with a DSLR. Focus would also be harder with DSLR. I am pretty amazed with what a camera can do as far as video though.

I'm not understanding your editing comment...I do it all the time by bringing the files into Adobe Premier Elements and having at it. The last project I did (quite a few months ago admittedly) was about an hour's worth of video of one of my riding lessons taken with my DSLR and then pared down to 10 minutes of content. There's a lot of stuff you see on TV now in commercials and documentary stuff that's shot with DSLRs in video mode because they cost less than the traditional video cameras and still provide 1080p output. That said, sometimes focus gets off a little with mine, but invariably, I find that's it mostly operator error.

Sean Troy
11-20-2012, 8:48 AM
I'm not understanding your editing comment...I do it all the time by bringing the files into Adobe Premier Elements and having at it. The last project I did (quite a few months ago admittedly) was about an hour's worth of video of one of my riding lessons taken with my DSLR and then pared down to 10 minutes of content. There's a lot of stuff you see on TV now in commercials and documentary stuff that's shot with DSLRs in video mode because they cost less than the traditional video cameras and still provide 1080p output. That said, sometimes focus gets off a little with mine, but invariably, I find that's it mostly operator error.
I'm most concerned with fast action using the DSLR. Focus issues would make me take a lot of video to get a short amount. Plus I want to use the camera as a camera during the shoots. Tri-pod for the video and hand held for the camera would work best of both worlds for me.