PDA

View Full Version : Source for Teflon tubing for my air compressor

Roger Feeley
11-13-2012, 4:30 PM
I have an aftermarket automatic bleed valve on my air compressor. It works by tapping into the unloader circuit. Every time the compressor comes on or goes off, the valve bleeds just a little. It works great but the tubing that came with it keeps coming off of the t-connector. I think the tubing that came with it is cheap polyethylene. What I need is teflon (ptfe) like what's on the compressor that will take the heat better.

The OD is 1/4". I am unsure of the ID of the original tubing since I don't want to take the whole thing apart and risk making it worse. The tubing I have on there is .170 ID. I think a bit smaller would be ok.

Any ideas?

thanks
Roger

Dan Friedrichs
11-13-2012, 4:51 PM
Did you look at McMaster?

Todd Burch
11-13-2012, 5:03 PM
If what I have is what you have, I used 1/4" copper tubing with a compression fitting, and then transitioned the copper tube into PEX with a shark fitting. Hasn't fallen off or leaked since. (And the PEX goes out through a hole in the wall to the outside.)

Stephen Cherry
11-13-2012, 5:22 PM
I used 1/4" copper tubing with a compression fitting,)

My IR compressor is copper tubed also- this would last forever

Ken Fitzgerald
11-13-2012, 5:28 PM
McMaster-Carr has it.... http://www.mcmaster.com/#tubing-(made-with-teflon-fep)/=k5fqx6

Roger Feeley
11-14-2012, 10:10 AM
thanks to all. I considered copper but I sort of subscribe to a 'minimum intrusion' policy. To rip out what's there and replace it all will be my last course of action.

I ordered the tubing from McMaster Carr. There really isn't a way to know if this stuff will be exactly right until I put it in and run it for a while. I sure don't want a repeat of last summer where I went out of town and found that my compressor had run for two days straight. It didn't seem to hurt it though.