PDA

View Full Version : Everlast Chisels on E-bay

Dennis McDonaugh
04-21-2005, 7:55 PM
In the past month or so I've managed to buy four decent Everlast chisels for less than $50 each and today I won one with some pitting for $26. I'm hoping I can grind it off and end up with a good user chisel cheap. It looks like the guys who were leading the bidding frenzy are gone for awhile.

Tim Leo
04-21-2005, 8:50 PM
It looks like the guys who were leading the bidding frenzy are gone for awhile.

I noticed that too. Maybe I can find some more of my favorite Witherby and Swan chisels at a decent price now.

Bob Smalser
04-22-2005, 12:31 AM
One of these days y'all are gonna have to tell me why it is I need a 50-dollar butt chisel. ;)

Not being critical because when I find that full-length Swan, New Haven or Witherby 7/8" Millwright I'll pay a C-note or more for it....

....I just wouldn't want newbie lurkers to get the impression the Everlast is an exceptional chisel for anything other than a school shop full of 16-year-olds with framing hammers.

Dennis McDonaugh
04-24-2005, 11:13 PM
One of these days y'all are gonna have to tell me why it is I need a 50-dollar butt chisel. ;)

Not being critical because when I find that full-length Swan, New Haven or Witherby 7/8" Millwright I'll pay a C-note or more for it....

....I just wouldn't want newbie lurkers to get the impression the Everlast is an exceptional chisel for anything other than a school shop full of 16-year-olds with framing hammers.

Bob, there are lots of chisels that are as good or better than Everlasts and certainly there are much cheaper chisels available. I buy what I like because I can afford it. Well, at least up to a point since I do have to sleep at night and LOML's understanding only goes so far. As far as lurking newbies goes. I don't think you have to worry about them getting the wrong impression, our tool discussions usually range far enough to cover all bases, usable, collectable, rare and junk.

Michael Cody
04-24-2005, 11:52 PM
Not to hijack a thread :D

Bob, gotta admit this one of the few times I would disagree with you ... I think they are overpriced, but Everlasts hold an edge as good as Witherby or Swans any day, I've the got sets of each to test it. Where I can agree is not paying premium money for ones under 6-7" in length (IE basically butt chisels) At least 8" or longer to be worth the cost. However in quality as bench chisels that will be used to chop, I find them superior to any straight socket chisel .. as paring chisels, they are obviously too short .. I have a nice set of reground Dunlops (not usually the best but a competent maker) I use for paring most of the time.. I swear when I got them I don't think they had ever touched a piece of wood and I didn't need any more bench chisels so they got reground into paring chisels. Don't ever pound on them they will chip an edge quick as can be. I reground a a half dozen Swan & Witherby (seems I find them full length more often than other brands) into skew chisels and the extra length is a real nice thing. They work awesome for that too as well as being outstanding bench chisels (both in bevel & firmer) .. but if I only had one set to do everything, I would probably pick my Everlasts for holding an edge. I also like they way they fit my hand better - though you can always make your own handles for socket chisels.