PDA

View Full Version : Details of 1953 Delta Rockwell Homecraft lathe

David Maxwell
11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I have purchased a lathe, which I think I have accurately characterised as above. (No model number on it, but Serial Number AM6216 identifies it as made by the Tupelo Div. in 1953). This is to replace a badly worn Shopsmith, for which I have some turning accessories But I am clearly way out of my depth in understanding the details of my "new" baby. I have seen references to various models of Rockwell lathes having either headstock or tailstock fitted with Morse tapers, (but seemingly not both). My headstock is threaded with a 1" 8 tpi thread, and a Morse taper on the inside. (Also has a LH threaded outboard end, which came with a corresponding faceplate, and indexing pulley.) Bearings are absolutely solid, (no play), and my inclination is not to get involved in replacing bearings or "rebuilding", (which seems to be a major activity in some quarters). There was a spur center in place whan I got the lathe, and this came out fairly readily with a couple of blows with a bar, so I am reasonably comfortable that I need no further guidance vis-a-vis the headstock, unless any of you wiser heads have any advice to offer an innocent who may not know what he doesn't know.
There is one detail which somebody may want to clarify for me: how does one arrange the tool rest if turning on the outboard shaft? (Or does one not do so?)
My real problem comes with the tailstock. There is a dead centre in place at present. I would like to replace this with a live centre. But the existing centre seems to be very solidly attached, and I need to know just how this is designed. Is this fitted with a Morse taper, and my existing centre is just seized in place, (in which case I just need to add more penetrating oil, and more force), or is this a fixed feature? And am I correct in thinking that the way it should eject the centre (if indeed the centre is designed to come out, [and I can't believe it isn't]), is by unscrewing the handle on the end of the tailstock, [does this have a specific name?], at which point the centre will be popped out?
And, if all attempts to free this fail, I reckon the next step is to get a replacement piece for the tailstock. It looks to me as though there is quite a healthy trade in parts for old Rockwell lathes, but they all seem to be identified by model number - and my lathe seems not to have such. How do I identify it when, (and if) I need to go looking for parts? (Or are these parts uniform across multiple models?) Are schematics of old Rockwell lathes posted anywhere, to permit my more accurately identifying the bits I need?
I already have a OneWay Basic chuck (from the Shopsmith), and reckon that all I need do there is get the appropriate adapter to fit it to the Rockwell. For faceplates does one look to eBay, etc., sellers on this and similar sites, or commercial vendors?
I do apologise for the multiplicity of questions I have posed, and throw myself on your mercy in humouring a very innocent neophyte.

Jamie Donaldson
11-13-2012, 2:16 PM
David- I'm not "intimately" familiar with your exact lathe, but if the tailstock quill/handwheel has a hole through the center you should be able to drive out the dead center. Some are self-ejecting when the handwheel is cranked in reverse, but a rod and hammer are your best bet with least amount of possible damage.

Marvin Hasenak
11-13-2012, 4:08 PM
I would go to this site, join and ask questions. http://oldwwmachines.com/
I would bet someone has one like it and can lead you in the right directions for a manual and answer all of your questions.

David Maxwell
11-13-2012, 4:12 PM
Ha! Success. I figured out how to dismantle the tailstock, put a rod down the centre and whacked it with a hammer, neatly ejecting the #1 MT dead centre which had been jammed in with chunks of aluminum and other garbage by some precious owner, to shim it out to fit in the #2 MT hole. Distinct progress is being made.

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-14-2012, 8:06 AM
David,
Though it is in storage, I own one of these lathes. My tail stock is a #2 taper, not a #1 as you mentioned. When I bought mine, it came with an outboard tool rest. It merely consisted of a piece of 3" pipe on a sturdy base with an off set S shaped fitting that was drilled and tapped to hold the tool rest. I never used it because I never turned anything outboard. The lathe wasn't really heavy for anything larger than the swing over the bed. I have quite a few accessories for that lathe including a never used three jaw chuck I bought just prior to buying my PM. Let me know via private message if you need anything.
faust