PDA

View Full Version : Morse taper extension

Richard Jones
11-13-2012, 6:30 AM
Does anyone use one of these for anything? Looks like it could be handy if you need some extra room around the headstock, but I'm having trouble this morning envisioning an actual scenario. I love gadgets, but am trying to avoid unnecessary if possible.......

Thanks in advance from a tool junkie.........

John Keeton
11-13-2012, 7:01 AM
...but am trying to avoid unnecessary if possible...Richard, there apparently are two schools of thought - those that buy tools thinking they may someday have a use for them, and those that have a use for a tool and then buy it. Your comment quoted above would seem to be consistent with the latter. Personally, I try to avoid buying tools until I foresee a need for them - wood, now that is another matter!

Bob Hamilton
11-13-2012, 7:04 AM
I have only seen them used in the tailstock, to provide more reach so the tailstock can be used for support without being in the way. If you view the videos of the Oneway coring system in action that are available for download on the Oneway site ( http://www.oneway.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=15 ) the demonstrator, Dave Lancaster, uses one to allow using the tailstock to reach into the bottom of the cored bowl to support the next core as he is cutting it.

Take care
Bob

Faust M. Ruggiero
11-13-2012, 8:05 AM
I use one every time I core bowls. I like having the assurance of the tail stock in place to secure the inside bowl and to protect myself if a tenon would ever break, something that has happened more than once. I don't put a tenon on my cores. When it is time to second turn them I mount the base in a friction chuck. I mount the extension and center in the tail stock and press the outside of the bowl into the friction chuck (a vacuum chuck without the vacuum running). That allows me room to true the portion of the inside that will fit against the friction chuck when I turn the bowl around to turn the outside. Truing the inside assures me even pressure and no chance of splitting the bowl by pushing an untrue surface against the friction chuck. It also allows me to actually use the vacuum if I choose. Why go through all that? I find a bowl held in a properly sized vacuum chuck vibrates less that one mounted in a chuck. Just my way but it works for me.
faust

Peter Blair
11-13-2012, 9:13 AM
Hey Richard. I too use one to extend my tail stock when coring with my Oneway Coring set-up. It allows me to reach into the bottom of a deeper bowl if I choose to support it from the tail stock while finishing the outside and around the rim.

Bernie Weishapl
11-13-2012, 9:37 AM
Like Peter mainly I use mine when coring. I do use it in the tailstock only when I need extra clearance and want the support of the tailstock.

Thom Sturgill
11-13-2012, 9:44 AM
This discussion makes me want one, but then I am a confirmed tool junkie.

Jamie Donaldson
11-13-2012, 10:04 AM
I occasionally use one in the tailstock when I need extra drilling depth capability.

Kyle Iwamoto
11-13-2012, 12:05 PM
This discussion makes me want one, but then I am a confirmed tool junkie.

Me too. Don't have a OneWay corer though. I have the McN, I guess I gould use it....... I did think about the headstock side for the first reverse roughing and a friction drive.

Bill Bulloch
11-13-2012, 12:10 PM
I don't have one, but see how it could be used with the Beall Buffing System to extend the buffing wheel out farther from the Headstock.

Jon McElwain
11-13-2012, 1:38 PM
I use one with the Oneway coring system as well. Sometimes I'll use one when roughing just to keep the tailstock back a little further from the banjo. Usually I do this when I have left it on the lathe after coring!

Dale Cruea
11-13-2012, 1:59 PM
We used them in a drill press all the time.
I would not recommend them in the head stock for tuning.
They will not take side pressure very well.
After a while they can become out of round inside due to the lack of wall thickness.
They are made for a straight downward pressure only.

Dave Mueller
11-13-2012, 2:30 PM
This is one of those solutions to a problem that is obvious to me especially when someone else suggests it. I constantly fight with getting my tool rest close when cleaning up the bottom of a piece because it hits the tailstock. Cool idea...

Richard Jones
11-13-2012, 3:00 PM
Sounds like it's worth $17. Good thread. I love brainstorming...................

David Gilbert
11-13-2012, 5:13 PM
Golly, I have two of them and don't even own a coring system (yet). What does that say about me? I think that I have used one of them once.

Cheers,
David

Richard Jones
11-13-2012, 5:19 PM
Golly, I have two of them and don't even own a coring system (yet). What does that say about me? I think that I have used one of them once.

Cheers,
David

David,

That just means that you are adept at planning and preparing for any possible situation.

Anyway, have one on order. Hope it will be as useful to me as to some who have posted.

Thanks.

Jon Murphy
11-14-2012, 2:55 AM
Concur with Dale, not good for the headstock. I bought one to get better access at the headstock end of turnings on my midi lathe, the headstock and spindle end are quite close so I have to do some contortions to work that end. The extension isn't true enough to act as the driver, but as an extension of the tailstock it can be of help in some circumstances. The headstock is active, the tailstock passive.

Best, Jon

Thomas Canfield
11-14-2012, 8:01 PM
A MT Extension would sure be nice today. I am about to part off the tenon on a 15" deep hollow form and cannot reach the bottom with my Don Pencil Jamb Chuck. I am goinng to use a 1/4" drill bit extension to extend out a 3" sanding disk with rubber pad for drive to bottom, but would prefer to have a heavier shaft. I will have a centering disk with pad close to the upper end for additional support and drive contact. Never enough toys.

robert baccus
11-14-2012, 10:30 PM
I use one on the headstock for mounting a buffer wheel for more clearance and other uses.

Richard Jones
11-16-2012, 4:12 AM
Mine got here yesterday. 2 days from Utah to Virginia, I'd say that's pretty good for the USPS.

Anyway, cleaned it up and mounted it in the headstock last night to finish up a rattle. Lots more room on that left hand end, reducing the amount of contortion I had to do, as I didn't trust turning left handed on this particular piece. Downside is that the shaft on the knock-off stebcenter I was using was too short to reach the KO slot, so I resorted to a punch. Came out with no problem.

This particular MT extension is very well machined and is not made in China.............

Well worth the $$, highly recommended.

Thanks to all for the great tips.