PDA

View Full Version : Which lathe?

Carol Johnston
11-12-2012, 5:12 PM
I'm sure this has been asked many times. I'm thinking of getting into woodturning (did some spindle turning several years ago when I took a woodworking class). I'm looking at the Grizzly and Jet lathes. I want to keep the price under $2000.00, so I can't afford the Powermatic. Suggestions or opinions?

John Fabre
11-12-2012, 5:21 PM
Do you have 220 or only 110 outlets?

Dan Hintz
11-12-2012, 5:22 PM
You're opening the flood gates on this one, Carol... ask yourself what you think you might want to do in the future to avoid "upgrade" costs.

If you like pens and other small items, a tabletop is good. Like bowls? A larger floor-standing one is better. Like huge platters / vases? Gotta move to something big like a Robust. Tools will usually cost more than the lathe itself, so if you want to save money, learn what tools you like before buying... best way to do that is to join a local turning club and do a bit of practice, learn from people who have already been there.

For that price, I would probably go for a small floor-standing unit, like a Jet or a Delta (you can always turn pens on a bigger lathe, but you can't turn a bowl on a desktop). Expect to spend a few hundred $s on turning tools, a few hundred $s on sharpening tools, and save a few hundred $s for the stuff you don't know you need but will "have to have it" once you see it.

Rob Price
11-12-2012, 5:27 PM
I'll second that. I spent $600 on my delta midi lathe and that much (if not more) on tools/chuck/grinder etc. Be sure to budget for that, I didn't.

Roger Chandler
11-12-2012, 7:22 PM
In a full sized, full featured lathe.......the Jet 1642 evs and the Grizzly G0733 are nearly identical in features....the Grizzly has two more inches of swing for larger bowls, platters and such and has 5 more inches between centers if you ever want to do things like table legs, bed posts etc.

I have the Grizzly G0698.......the predecessor to the G0733 which has been upgraded......my lathe has performed flawlessly for nearly three years..........the G0733 is probably the best value in a full sized, full featured lathe on the market.......in your price range, but then you will need turning tools, chucks, abrasives, , etc., which can be gotten along the way......and a sharpening setup........need that immediately upon beginning to turn.

The Jet is a fine lathe also....it has a longer warranty.......something you might want to consider as well.

Alan Trout
11-12-2012, 7:33 PM
I would consider the DVR XP. Right now it is on sale at Woodcraft and is a heck of a lathe at that price. I have one and never had any regrets with its purchase. I recently purchased an Robust American Beauty but I kept my DVR. It is a very versatile compact lathe.

Alan

Walt Cheever
11-12-2012, 8:24 PM
You will end up with 10 posts and 20 ideas. We all have our favorites.

Just remember that the lathe is only 50% of the cost of turning equipment. By the time you have bought enough tools, a good chuck, a grinder with a good wheel, measuring equipment, tools to cut rough stock, plus other stuff I've forgotten about, you will have spent about the same as the cost of your lathe

For the record, I have used a Jet 1442 (non-electronic speed control) for 8 years and am still happy with it. It still does everything I ask it to do, and has required only minimum maintenance.

Walt

David Walser
11-12-2012, 8:56 PM
Carol,

This question was asked by Dom earlier this month. Here's a link to my advice to him (feel free to read what everyone else said in the same thread, although they're wrong and I'm right :)): http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?193895-Undecided-Potential-New-Turner-Needs-Some-Advice&p=2002208#post2002208

Donny Lawson
11-12-2012, 8:58 PM
You need to consider what you will be turning. Pretty much things under 12" would be a Delta 46-460. Great machine with plenty of power. $600.00 bucks. Also buy some good quality tools so you can spend more time turning and less time sharpening. Robert Sorby has nice ones. 1/2" bowl gouge,3/8 spindle gouge,parting tool,a good chuck,slow speed grinder,wolverine jig for sharpening,sanding supplies, and it goes on and on. 2k will get you started. Once you get started it's hard to stop. But man it's FUN.

George Morris
11-12-2012, 10:57 PM
What Dan said!Good luck!

Joe Bradshaw
11-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Shinny tools, I must buy. As has been said many times before, if you get into turning, take a picture of your money. This way you will know what it looks like.(7 lathes, 16 chucks and counting)

Sid Matheny
11-12-2012, 11:07 PM
The DVR-XP at WoodCraft is on sale for $1750. You will need several other items to add to any lathe.

Sid

Jon Murphy
11-13-2012, 4:39 AM
I may be the only fan of the PSI Turncrafter Commander VS 12" on Saw Mill Creek, but I've been using it for two years now. One horse with a digital speed readout. A bit sloppy as the the tailstock in the ways, but that can be covered. Plenty of power for a 12" bowl, enough speed adjustment for anything. I chose it over the Jet and Delta 12" lathes and am comfortable with my choice.

But there is a secondary aspect to your question. You are "thinking" about getting into woodturning. I recommend against any of the larger lathes in that $1500 to $2000 range, you will quickly find yourself out of budget as you buy tools - and you don't yet know if you will really want to do woodturning. Buy the Jet 12" swing, or the Delta 46-460, or the PSI I have (I recommend that, a bit cheaper but a sound machine). Then if you commit yourself to the turning and want a larger lathe your tools will still be good and your technique sound. The $500 to $650 (with shipping) for your 12" will be a write off, or something you can sell to another beginner. The greatest waste of money is to buy top of the line initially and then find out you aren't really that interested.

Best, Jon

Carol Johnston
11-14-2012, 9:21 AM
I really appreciate all of the advice, but more confused than ever--so many opinions! I think you've convinced me to find a woodturner's club (the closest would be Ft. Wayne, IN), and check things out before investing. I do know that I'm not interested in turning pens. I want to make spindles for plant stands, bowls, vases, etc. That's why I'm thinking about a larger lathe. I do own a Grizzly 8" jointer, 17" band saw and disc/spindle sander, and have been happy with them, so the Grizzly would be a definite option. I've also read several favorable reviews about the Jet. However, I didn't realize how expensive the "extras" would be, so I'll need to figure that into my budget--or Christmas, anniversary, birthday ideas for my husband! Thanks for all of the replies. Once my decision is made, I'm sure I'll be coming back to this forum for advice.

Dan Hintz
11-14-2012, 9:33 AM
I'll put it to you this way, Carol... I started with a $1,200 lathe and $300 in tools, thinking I was set for a few years. I quickly ended up with a $10k lathe and $3k-4k in tools.

Of course, I'm a tool hog/collector, but I don't buy unless I have an interest in using it.

Mark Hubl
11-14-2012, 11:23 AM
Lots of good advice, may want to check the sawmill creek classifieds. There is a nice sounding Nova available in Toledo.

Reed Gray
11-14-2012, 12:00 PM
The club may also be a good source for a used lathe. Seems like people are always upgrading. If you are turning spindles, you don't need the same horse power that you do bowls, and many of the bench top lathes will do fine. I used to say that what ever lathe you buy, you will spend at least that much on accessories. I now think that number is closer to 2 to 3 times the cost of the lathe. Most of us sell a few things to 'support' our habit.

On my must have list: lathe, a chuck or 3, a sharpening station (grinder, wheels, jigs, etc), abrasives, finishing supplies, one spindle gouge, 2 bowl gouges, at least one good scraper for bowls, a skew, a parting tool, and a detail/spindle gouge. Add dust mask, dust collector, chainsaw, wood sealer, storage area for wood which seems to be at least half of the shop, a shop, dust masks, eye safety, and more...... The vortex, there is no end.......

robo hippy

BILL DONAHUE
11-14-2012, 5:50 PM
Don't assume that a PM 3520 is out of the question. I bought one that was eight months old for $1800. If you can be patient I'd look for something used.