PDA

View Full Version : Wood Question

Mike Goetzke
11-12-2012, 3:57 PM
I'm a new turner who needs practice and have a wood question. Yesterday my son's and I took down a 15' evergreen tree (trunk - maybe 8"-9" at the base). I was thinking of cutting some of it out to practice on but the cut surface is very sticky from sap. Are you supposed to cut this wood green or let it dry first? Oh, first question should have been is it worth it to try to turn this wood?

Thanks,

Mike

charlie knighton
11-12-2012, 4:00 PM
everygreen needs to be very dry, normally anything with sap is too much trouble to turn, some cedars turn very well (some cracking) and take finish very well

Ted Calver
11-12-2012, 5:32 PM
Don't know where you are from, but surely you can do better than sappy evergreen....it's horrible to clean up. Wait for some hardwood.

Jamie Donaldson
11-12-2012, 7:40 PM
"Life is too short to turn sappy wood!":D Some of the experienced turners know this saying!;)

Mike Goetzke
11-12-2012, 7:58 PM
Don't know where you are from, but surely you can do better than sappy evergreen....it's horrible to clean up. Wait for some hardwood.

OK - it's firewood.

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2012, 9:53 PM
I did the same thing 7 yrs or so ago when I started turning. Cleaning the tools and lathe for sap and pitch is no fun. I have only turned it one other time after it had dried for 5 yrs or so.

George Morris
11-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Mile not very good for fire wood either,soft burns very fast!

Jon Murphy
11-13-2012, 4:49 AM
I have to disagree with the answers you/ve gotten - I often turn fresh green wood, including pine and other evergreens. Cleaning the tools is no problem, a rag and some mineral spirits. The plus and the minus to green wood is that it changes shape as it dries. That can be annoying if you have a form in mind, but quite satisfying if you want the wood to tell you how it wants to be shaped. You can rough out your form, then dry it (some use microwave ovens), then finish it. I prefer to just keep going and let the shape form itself. Lots of firewood made that way when it splits, but also a lot of learning as to the way wood works itself. Personally I'll turn any piece of wood I get, green or seasoned, and see what happens. Some of my most attractive pieces are from some of the "worst" wood.

Best, Jon