PDA

View Full Version : Repair help for 3x24 Porter Cable A3 504 belt sander

Mike Meadors
11-12-2012, 12:42 PM
I am repairing my old A3 (504 by the newer designation) belt sander and I have made the mistake of not photographing the switch wiring. I cannot seem to find good repair photographs of this. Does anyone have info? If someone has this sander, a quick photo of the switch with one half of the handle off would clarify a world of questions.

Ideally, I would love to find a site devoted to these sanders, but so far I have been unsuccessful.

Mike Meadors
11-13-2012, 5:09 PM
Rockwell 504 owners could help me with this as well.

Sam Murdoch
11-13-2012, 6:38 PM
I may have this one. I never ever use it so I'm not sure. I'll look tomorrow. In the meanwhile will a parts diagram help?
Here is one link http://www.ereplacementparts.com/porter-cable-504-type-3x24-belt-sander-parts-c-129_1997_2073.html

There may be other places to search that will show the switch specifically.

Mike Meadors
11-14-2012, 10:28 AM
I may have this one. I never ever use it so I'm not sure. I'll look tomorrow. In the meanwhile will a parts diagram help?
Here is one link http://www.ereplacementparts.com/porter-cable-504-type-3x24-belt-sander-parts-c-129_1997_2073.html

There may be other places to search that will show the switch specifically.

Sam,

Thanks for your reply. I've seen the diagram and I've actually ordered a few replacement parts (power cord, brass ring gear, chain drive gasket) from ereplacement parts. The diagram doesn't really show me anything about the switch. I've Googled this extensively. It's almost amazing that there isn't more about these sanders online. They're super tough and can be made to last a lifetime. I worked with a Rockwell 504 daily for many years when I was working at a church furniture company, and tore it down a few times for repairs. That has been several years ago, so now it is not so much second nature. Also, I don't have a shop with several of these to compare to like I did back in the day. I can't believe I didn't take pictures (forehead slap).

Sam Murdoch
11-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Mine are the 360 and the 362VS so sorry, I can't help more.

Joe Kieve
11-14-2012, 11:45 AM
I have a 503. Not sure, but I think the only difference between the two is the dust bag on the 503. I'll take the side off and take a pic this afternoon and post. Hope it'll help.

Here's the picture of the switch. It's hard to tell from the photo but the 2 black wires from the motor go to the trigger end of the switch. The black and white wires from the power cord go to the opposite end. You can see the white wire on top. Of course the green grounds to the frame.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Mike Meadors
11-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Thanks Joe!

We are up and running. While I was digging, I also found a tech bulletin of sorts that said that the worm gear and brass ring gear had to be replaced as a set, if you had an older model. I only replaced the brass gear. I was a little unsure about how it might perform with only the new ring gear, but it seems to be doing fine. It could be that the gear set was replaced earlier, or I may find that the brass gear will wear out earlier.

It is great to have an old family friend back in service! These sanders just stand head and shoulders above all others, IMHO.

I have a 503. Not sure, but I think the only difference between the two is the dust bag on the 503. I'll take the side off and take a pic this afternoon and post. Hope it'll help.

Here's the picture of the switch. It's hard to tell from the photo but the 2 black wires from the motor go to the trigger end of the switch. The black and white wires from the power cord go to the opposite end. You can see the white wire on top. Of course the green grounds to the frame.

Hope this helps.

Joe