PDA

View Full Version : Candle Holder?

Kelvin Burton
11-11-2012, 11:25 PM
I recently got the chance to get as much Bradford Pear as I could haul away and have been waiting for the opportunity to turn some of it. One piece looked like it could offer a variation on a natural edge "bowl" as it had a small branch on the side and this is the result.

My wife asked "what is it?" and I had to think quick! I saw a candle sitting nearby and placed it in the middle. Hopefully someone will agree with me or come up with another idea :D Hoping this one finds a home soon.

Finish is Danish Oil and Deft Sanding Sealer.

C&C welcome

Dennis Ford
11-12-2012, 7:24 AM
Your creativity in seeing this piece in the wood is matched by making it a candle holder. I like it!

Steve Schlumpf
11-12-2012, 9:42 AM
Works well as a candle holder but can also see it holding apples, oranges or Christmas ornaments! Nice!

Harry Robinette
11-12-2012, 10:06 AM
Kelvin
Very nice work on a beautiful piece of wood. Like Steve I like the Christmas ornaments idea.

Thomas Canfield
11-12-2012, 7:58 PM
Kelvin,

Fill it with pine cones. It is a unique piece. It looks like you had to work to get a tenon on bottom with the bottom that is now there. Your creative side is really coming out.

Bernie Weishapl
11-12-2012, 9:55 PM
Great piece Kelvin. I can see several uses for it.

Kelvin Burton
11-13-2012, 1:18 AM
Thanks guys for all the great comments :p I wasn't too sure about this one but I like to experiment from time to time. Tom, the foot you see was the tenon, I just prettied it up a little!

Kelvin Burton
11-15-2012, 10:02 PM
I took this to work today and the first person who saw it bought it on the spot! And ordered a 2nd one like it! Was I surprised! :eek:

Thomas Canfield
11-16-2012, 8:58 PM
Did you sell it with the candle? I did not really see that the foot was that high, but was looking at the large section of bark that could have been a problem in a tenon. It seems that the unusual (bark inclusion, grain pattern, etc) can be more desired than the plain standard forms.

David DeCristoforo
11-16-2012, 11:06 PM
Please be extra careful when using something like this as a candle holder. I almost had a fire right on my kitchen table when a bit of wick dripped down the side of a candle along with some wax and set my wood candle holder afire. Luckily we were right there and ended up with only a small mess to clean up!

Kelvin Burton
11-17-2012, 9:56 AM
Tom, it was bought without the candle, she wants to use larger ones. David, thanks for the warning, I'll pass it on!