PDA

View Full Version : New Workbench

Clark Harbaugh
11-11-2012, 10:41 PM
I have traditionally used power tools for all of my wood projects. However, as my skills have increased, I find myself wanting to use less power, and more hand tools. So, as I started learning the techniques of hand planing, cutting dovetails, etc, I quickly realized that my lack of a traditional workbench with proper vises was a huge handicap. I set out to build a bench for my shop, and it is mostly done. You can find a WIP post about it here -

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?194142-Split-Top-Work-Bench-(WIP)&p=2003942#post2003942

Since the ultimate justification for this was to do more hand tool work, I use less power tools than I have on all of my other projects. The dovetails were 100% hand cut (you can tell I still need some practice). Some of the tenons and mortises were also hand cut, although I did cheat on a lot of them and used the table saw.

I welcome all of your feedback and suggestions as I jump head first off the cliff into Neander World!

Peter Hawser
11-11-2012, 11:20 PM
Very nice. I don't think you should ever think of using power tools as "cheating." There are no rules and the majority of hand tool users who ever lived were hand tool users because they had no choice.

Adam Cruea
11-11-2012, 11:33 PM
Pretty darned decent for pine, man! :) I had a pain dovetailing any big-store pine I bought (hence why I've given it up). For me, it's actually easier to make a dovetail in hardwood than softwood.

There's no shame in not using 100% power tools. I'm building a hickory bench right now and the only thing I've used that is powered was a drill (I don't have a manual drill or brace) and it is tiring along with requiring a lot of time and patience. Since my bench is in my basement, I really have no choice to keep dust and noise down.

Harold Burrell
11-12-2012, 10:03 AM
Very nice. I don't think you should ever think of using power tools as "cheating." There are no rules and the majority of hand tool users who ever lived were hand tool users because they had no choice.

I've often thought that the "old timers" would probably laugh at us for NOT using power tools. ;)

Jim Koepke
11-12-2012, 11:54 AM
I've often thought that the "old timers" would probably laugh at us for NOT using power tools. ;)

I think you are spot on with this. Many "old timers" were paid by the piece and not the hour. Faster work meant more pay.

Some operations can actually be done faster by hand in the time it takes to set up a power tool. Power tools compete best when there is a lot of the same operation to be done.

My current project has me cutting lap joints in 2X4s. My Disston rip saw does a better, straighter job of cutting through the '4' of a 2X4 than my band saw can do. It is just as fast.

jtk

bob blakeborough
11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I choose to avoid power tools whenever possible, but not for the reason I think it is better... I just enjoy it more. That said, if I don't enjoy performing a certain hand tool process for days on end, and it is going to be a long hard month of a that process, I would not hesitate to pull out a machine to get the job done (read needing to thickness 200bf of 8/4 ash for a workbench lol)

Harold Burrell
11-12-2012, 1:01 PM
I choose to avoid power tools whenever possible, but not for the reason I think it is better... I just enjoy it more. That said, if I don't enjoy performing a certain hand tool process for days on end, and it is going to be a long hard month of a that process, I would not hesitate to pull out a machine to get the job done (read needing to thickness 200bf of 8/4 ash for a workbench lol)

I absolutely agree. I too use hand tools for the enjoyment, though I do not yet trust my skill level in every application. I just kind enjoy the feel of "working" the wood as opposed to "machining" it.

That said, I have absolutely no intention of gettng rid of my power tools any time soon! :D

Jim Koepke
11-12-2012, 1:52 PM
Besides, with hand tools I make my mistakes slower. So there is more time to catch myself.

jtk

Jim Neeley
11-12-2012, 11:50 PM
+1, Jim.. :D