PDA

View Full Version : Super Nova 2 for Oliver 159?

Anthony Diodati
11-11-2012, 8:09 PM
I have the Oliver 159 and looking for another chuck. Techatool's web site recommends the Super Nova 2 for lathes with 20" swing, and the Precision Midi or the Nova G3, for less than 14". They also talk about the Super Nova 2 being hard on bearings etc. when mounted on smaller laths. ( Don't know if I'd consider the Oliver 159 a "smaller lathe")
So is the 159 a "smaller lathe"? Would the Nova G3 be a better choice or would I end up wishing I bought the SN2. I don't see myself turning many large bowls, but you never know.
I have been turning small bowls and a few boxes along with a few small items. Which chuck would you recommend?
The super Nova 2 sure looks like a nice chuck, but I just want to be sure it's not too big before I pull the trigger.
Thanks,
Tony

EDIT
The "NOVA PRECISION MIDI CHUCK" must be the one I have now, cause it uses the 2 Tommy bars.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Chucks/Midi/Nova_Midi_Chuck.htm

Anthony Diodati
11-12-2012, 10:55 AM
I am thinking about adding the 10" cole jaws.
How many of you have the cole jaws, and do you think they are worth the extra money?

Michael Mills
11-12-2012, 1:25 PM
Unless you have a small spindle I would not think the SN2 would be too large. Is your Oliver one of the ones with 1-1/8 spindle? The SN2 weighs about two pounds more than the G3 but that may be small compared to the weight of a green blank hanging on a G3. At $100 at the service center for the SN2, I would go that way. Others may disagree. I do have two SN’s, a SN2, and four G3’s.
I can’t give an opinion on the cole jaws except I do have a set of the mini coles which came with a G3 kit. It has been about a year and I haven’t been inclined to take them out of the packaging yet. My personal opinion is that a set of Pin jaws may be more useful for the money. I assume the cole jaws are just to clean up the base? I get along with a friction chuck for that just fine. I’m sure others will differ.

Anthony Diodati
11-12-2012, 4:37 PM
Thanks, ended up going with the 10" cole jaws. They added another $80.00 to it. Maybe not that use full, I don't know. Got the SN2 recon, for $100.00, and the insert was $20.00. Shipping was another $21.00
Although after I ordered, I see Amazon sells the 10" Cole jaws for about $62.00, with free shipping.
Yes, 1 1/8" spindle.

Anthony Diodati
12-25-2012, 7:16 PM
Well this was the first chance l had to use the new Super Nova 2, and the cole jaws. Just did a small cherry bowl, but over all, I am happy with the chuck.
I put the cole jaws on the old chuck that uses the tommy bars. They will probably stay on that chuck. Used it to finish up the bottom of the bowl. Can't say I minded the way the cole jaws worked out.
Seemed to work pretty well holding the rim of the bowl. I had the rubber nubs hold on the outside of the rim.
Overall l am happy with both items.

Robert Champagne
12-26-2012, 2:57 PM
Anthony, I have a SN2 on my Oliver 159. I am happy with the chuck, and got a set of the "large" cole jaws along the way. They work fine for me too. I think the SN2 is a great size chuck for the 159.
Rob

Anthony Diodati
12-26-2012, 6:17 PM
Overall l am happy with both items.
Until today.
Started turning a small bowl, it is still somewhat green, but l was gonna turn it thin, and just let it dry, if it moves, it moves. IOW not rough turn and let dry, final turn later. So I used the screw faceplate I have to form my bottom.
Now it's only 5" in diameter, about 2 1/2" tall, and was looking good, till I tried to chuck up my recess.
I never thought about it, but my dovetailed recess is only about 2 7/8" and now my jaws won't open enough to grip the bottom of the bowl. Looks like the moveable jaw sliders only come to the edge of the chuck, where on my old nova chuck that uses the Tommy bars, looks like the moveable jaw sliders come out about a 1/4" past the body of my old (Tommy bar) chuck.
I did not want to turn a plug on the bottom, as there was not a lot of wood to work with to begin with. Customer support told me the max for that chuck with those jaws was 2.835, Which seems about right. (just under 2 7/8")
Like I said, i already put the cole jaws on my old chuck, I didn't want to be switching these jaws all the time.
So, looks like I have to spend another $75.00 for the 75MM jaws.
I could probably put the 50 mm jaws back on the old Tommy bar Nova chuck to finish this bowl, or glue a plug in this recess and start over I guess.
Like I said, I don't want to have to be switching these jaws around all the time.
You would thing they would make this set up open a little further. :confused:
If the jaw sliders would come out about a 1/4" past the body, like on my old chuck, I would be OK for now. :rolleyes:
I put a WTB in the classifieds, but I am not optimistic.:mad:

Robert, how do you like you 159?
People always say if I upgrade, but I think the 159 is going to be it for me. Sure, it's only 12", but I think it's still a pretty heavy duty lathe.

John Keeton
12-26-2012, 7:22 PM
Anthony, I just sent you a couple of PMs.

Anthony Diodati
12-26-2012, 8:34 PM
OK here is whats making me mad.
These are not the best pictures, but you should be able to see, The old outdated chuck, the old Nova that uses the Tommy bars, the outside end of the moveable jaw sliders measures a good 4 1/8" Where the New super Nova 2 only measures
3 13/16" . This is with both chucks jaws open all the way.
I still say they could give it better range.
The one way , with the #2 jaws, is something like (Expansion range capacity) of 2-3/8" - 4"
To me that is a better range.

Anthony Diodati
12-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Let me ask this, is this normal then, for the Super Nova 2's moveable jaw sliders to only come even with the edge of the chuck?
Do all of yours only open this far, or do they open further, like my older one does. Could someone check there chuck and let me know?
I am confused too, I thought there was a 75mm jaw set, but I am seeing 70 mm also. The TEKNATOOL CHUCK ACCESSORY JAW MANUAL only shows the 75mm, but on there site I saw a 70 mm.

Anthony Diodati
12-26-2012, 11:08 PM
OK, I found a 70mm and a 75 mm,
70mm jaws are said to go from 2.760-3.540

75mm jaws are said to go from 3.189-4.016
I am now thinking the *70mm* is a good middle of the road size.

Sid Matheny
12-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Yeah to the edge of the chuck just like they are made to do.

Sid

Anthony Diodati
12-26-2012, 11:43 PM
OK Thanks,

Yeah to the edge of the chuck just like they are made to do.

Sid