PDA

View Full Version : Advise on hiring and working with an architect

Rob Blaustein
04-21-2005, 2:27 PM
My wife and I have would like to do a small renovation (our first) and we could use some practical advice. We have a walk-in closet off our bedroom that in turn can open into another space that is currently unfinished (and uninsulated, so we keep the door to that space closed). We’d like to convert both spaces to a combined closet and master bath. My guess is we’d need to put in a shed-style dormer to make this work, but the bottom line is that the space is tight and we’d like to hire an architect to design something that will make best use of the space. I already have two recommendations: one from a colleague who enjoyed working with his architect, and the other from a commercial architect I met recently who referred me to a friend of his who does residential work. But I’ve never hired an architect before and so have some naïve questions. Is there an accepted protocol for calling someone to describe what I’d like done? Is it OK to call an architect that someone recommends and ask for references, or is it a bit insulting (it is a small job after all)? At what point does the clock start ticking, that is, does one pay a fee just to have an architect come over to have us describe what we want done? I’m sure I’ll have other questions, but maybe I should start with those before making some calls. I’d be curious to hear from folks like Mark (Singer) and Paul (Cresti) who actually work as architects when they’re not in the shop making those wonderful pieces they show us, as well as from those who have worked with architects on their own renovations.

Jeff Sudmeier
04-21-2005, 2:45 PM
As far as I know, yes the clock does start ticking when you start describing what you want to do. Otherwise some people would describe what they want to do, get some ideas but on detailed plans and never have to pay anything.

My inlaws hired an architect to come and look at their house when they were looking at an addition. It was some great money spent, as the architect had ideas I had never dreamed of.

Lee Schierer
04-21-2005, 3:45 PM
There is no insult in asking for recommendations or examples of the work the architect has done. Bear in mind he will probably only show you what he considers to be successes. I wouldn't want a guy that does only ultra modern stuff to design a colonial style bathroom or the inverse either. You may also find that the architect doesn't want the job if it is too small. If you can talk with the person and feel comfortable, then consider hiring. Get your friends to show you what they had done too.

Jim Becker
04-21-2005, 3:48 PM
In addition to what Lee said, if you have some basic ideas/sketches available about what you would like to do, the architects you speak with will be better able to give you some estimated time and cost for hiring them on.

Michael Perata
04-21-2005, 4:46 PM
Rob

Out here on the left coast, a small job like you are considering would most likely NOT be done by an architect.

If you do feel it necessary to use an architect, you should not be charged walking in the door to interview the pro. You SHOULD inquire about his/her qualifications, what the charges will be (hourly/% of cost), do they carry E&O insurance, will they manage the job, and what would the fee be for that.

You should be able to get a definition of the firm's style - usually by looking at their walls but also by asking questions.

Also, get references. And do not hesitate to ask for references from his/her failures. If the claim is there has never been a bad job, be very skeptical.

Get references from the contractors/sub-contractors who have worked with the firm's design documents and had to live with the firm's job supervision. You don't want to have an architect and general who can not work together.

Jerry Clark
04-21-2005, 9:31 PM
I would discuss the job with a contractor, they usually have the expertise to handle most small jobs without an architect. :cool:

Jim Becker
04-21-2005, 10:05 PM
In retrospect after thinking about this and seeing other responses, I'll also suggest that you consider a design/build firm in addition to independently hiring an architect and a contractor. And do look for one that is a member of NARI (http://nari.org/) to help insure quality, etc. That organization is pretty strick with members. I'm not saying that an architect is a bad idea...not so...just that you do have alternatives for small projects like this that could be cost effective. If you do work with an architect, it's a good idea to work with a contractor who has a relationship with said designer to smooth out the process....if they know each other, it's a good thing.

Rob Blaustein
04-22-2005, 8:38 AM
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. We don't feel strongly about having an architect for this project. I'm sure the right contractor would be able to design something for us but we want someone (architect, designer, contractor) who has experience configuring small spaces into closet/bathroom combos and is clever about it. Jim's idea about a design firm sounds appealing since they probably have people who do this sort of thing a lot. I guess the trick is finding the right people. What I'd really like is to have someone design the space, and provide a detailed layout (and perhaps design, with our input) for shelves and drawers so that I can build them without having to do too much design work. I'd love to build shelves and drawers similar to the ones Mark Singer built (and so nicely documented a while back) for his closet. They had a nice clean design without difficult joinery or fancy materials (lots of sheet goods and extensive use of a Kreg jig, with some custom metal work), though it would still be a challenging project for me. I'll keep you posted when we make some progress. And if any of you have suggestions for design people or contractors in the Boston area, by all means chime in (or PM me).
Rob

Jim Becker
04-22-2005, 8:42 AM
Rob, check with the NARI organization I linked to in my previous reply...they have a locator service which should be quite helpful in finding several design/build firms in your area. They do your due-diligence to check out their work...you especially could benefit from seeing examples of projects similar to yours that they have completed.

John Shuk
04-25-2005, 7:24 PM
There are some good reasons to use an architect for the type job you are doing. One reason is that often they think of things we often do not. When you look at the design he can often explain the reasoning behind certain elements that a builder cannot and you are better able to OK or Nix something. If you have a contractor design the room for you he will only be trying to make his life easier. They want to bang it out and move on. Your architect can recommend a contractor and chances will be that he finds this person to be adept at working with his designs. It also helps when you have an issue with what your builder is doing. The architect has an advantage that you do not in knowledge and hopefully handling contractors. I think the project may cost 5-10% more with an architect but you would probably be happier in the end. There are obviously exceptions but this is MHO. Good luck.
John

Mark Singer
04-25-2005, 8:54 PM
Rob,

I would interview a few people. If there is a local AIA that would be a good source of licensed Architects. It is good to check references..and view their work. Make sure there is some chemistry between you. The work he shows you should be similar in style and feeling. Architects vary greatly in the quality of their work and their creativity so you should interview several and make sure their finished projects look good. It is not a good place to save money ...the balance of what you will send is based on the design...it is important...

Rob Blaustein
04-27-2005, 9:37 AM
John--you have nicely articulated my reasons for considering an architect in the first place. I am about to make some calls to some who've been recommended. Jim and Mark--as always, thanks for the excellent advice, your recs sound wise. I will keep you all posted (maybe even with some pics at some point).
-Rob

Jim Strapko
04-27-2005, 6:10 PM
For small projects, where an architect is not required by local laws, it would be well to concentrate on getting what you want without involving too many people. Look for a designer and a builder who can demonstrate with completed projects and references that they can meet your needs. You might find a single person who can fill both roles. Do not pay too much attention to labels such as "architect". Guessing from your comments, you might be well served by a talented house designer working in a remodeling firm. I agree that NARI would be a place to start.
On the subject of the when the architect's "meter" starts running, I suggest you do not hesitate to ask this question. Architects and designers are familiar with the questions on clients' minds and are prepared to answer. My wife and I operate an architecture/interior design practice. Our approach is to address questions about program (what you want), schedule, and budget in the first interview. If you approach an architect with realistic ideas on these three topics, you will be better prepared than many of our clients.
Jim Strapko, Architect, Minnesota
practice limited to commercial projects