PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw blade "flutter" question for ya......

Bill White
11-11-2012, 2:39 PM
Big Grizz BS (not in plant and don't have model # now), but have front-to-back blade flutter.
Blade tracking is set, guides are set, crown is good, no movement with power off, but when the power is on, and blade is up to speed, I'm getting the variance.
Any ideas? Bad blade? This is not side-to-side flutter. 1/2" blade is the culprit. We use it for cutting corbels (the curves that are required).
Bill

Prashun Patel
11-11-2012, 5:29 PM
Check the blade weld. If its proud, try filing it smooth.

John Coloccia
11-11-2012, 6:22 PM
It's almost certainly a bad weld. You're just not seeing it with the blade turning so slowly. Put a piece of wood up against the back of the blade and then turn it by hand. It should be obvious then. Also, you can push a piece of wood through slowly, and then slow down and STOP. The "Tick Tick Tick" you hear is one tooth hitting the wood, and it will be in time with the blade coming around.

Jim Rimmer
11-12-2012, 1:28 PM
Had the same problem with a new blade. Timberwolf replaced it immediately when I contacted them - told me it was a bad weld.

Erik Loza
11-12-2012, 2:39 PM
Agreed: Classic "bad weld" symptoms.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Joseph Tarantino
11-12-2012, 3:15 PM
Had the same problem with a new blade. Timberwolf replaced it immediately when I contacted them - told me it was a bad weld.

had the same problem with 4 brand new TW blades. no more TW blades for me. too many mentions in several forums for blade loping problems (arising from inaccurate welds).

Brian Kincaid
11-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Had this before, it was a bad weld.
-Brian