PDA

View Full Version : Anyone fix a Wii?

Matt Meiser
11-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Despite the fact they rarely use it my wife and daughter want the Wii fixed. It sounds like the laser has likely failed which is a $13 part plus a special $5 screwdriver. There's tons of cheesy videos about it but I'm looking for an adult opinion on repair vs replace? I can pick a whole unit up today for $130 at numerous stores.

Dan Hintz
11-11-2012, 2:16 PM
If you have several hours to kill (and the tools), do it yourself. Otherwise, it's worth it to pick up a new one.

William Adams
11-11-2012, 3:27 PM
I'd do the entire drive (repair allows you to keep save files for on-line games like Mario Kart which can't be backed up) --- doesn't take long, just needs a tri-wing and small Philips screwdriver.

Non-video instructions here:

http://www.wiihacks.com/wii-modchip/8031-guide-how-disassemble-your-wii.html

Mike Cozad
11-11-2012, 8:32 PM
Was in Game Stop this week for my son to get his Halo 4 pre-order and they had the display in for the new HD Wii.... Might be a better way to go. Completely backward compatible with original Wii games and way better graphics...

Matt Meiser
11-11-2012, 9:32 PM
Yeah but $300+. We went ahead and picked up a new one and I hooked it up this evening. Wish they made it a little easier to transfer everything but its at least started for them.