PDA

View Full Version : Help finding Sitka Spruce billets for bracing material.

Tony Shea
11-10-2012, 6:26 PM
I am still in the process of gathering all the materials to start my first acoustic build. It has been a slow going, buying as I can afford what I need. Any supplier I have seen is just selling pre-cut pieces close to the proper dimension. I think I'd rather find a quarter sawn billet that I can split my own brace pieces out of. Is this method unreasonable? Should I just buy these pre-made pieces from Stew Mac or LMI?

I'm surprised that you can't get more undimensioned pieces for building a guitar from these suppliers. I can see getting the top, back, and sides close to dimension but I'd like to get all the kerfing, bracing, heel and neck block, and neck in larger undimensioned pieces where I'd have more control planing them to the size I need or want. It seems they are getting a bit more $ for their time in milling these parts.

Ryan Baker
11-10-2012, 9:01 PM
LMI has bracewood that is not pre-shaped.

Most of the "bracewood" stock is going to be relatively small to start with because it comes from the leftovers after splitting out the blanks for tops. I haven't seen any lumber supplier selling quartered sitka as anything other than instrument wood. It either goes into instruments or gets chopped up for 2X4s or something. The piano industry uses some bigger stock, so maybe that may lead to a source, but I doubt it will be any cheaper. You might be able to buy sitka billets (split out wedges) and split or saw out your own tops and braces from scraps. It might save a little bit.

george wilson
11-10-2012, 9:36 PM
Condon lumber co. in White Plains,New York sells 2" x 8"+ quartered Sitka spruce for deck planking. I went there years ago and selected a bunch. You really need to pick it out,as its grain and hardness varies greatly.

george wilson
11-10-2012, 9:42 PM
It would help if you would list your location. I have no idea if you are anywhere near N.Y.

Google Aircraft Spruce. They are in Los Angeles,if I remember. I called there years ago to order a piece of Sitka spruce spar material. The young idiot who answered the phone did not know what spruce was!!! ITS IN YOUR NAME!!! I got about a 1 1/2" x6" piece of aircraft grade spruce finally. It cost money,and is no different from good spruce I've otherwise had,just more expensive. However,you'd be assured of getting a dense,harder than average piece of spruce with a nice grain,pretty close.

Tony Shea
11-11-2012, 3:02 PM
It seems like I've done the location part of my profile a number of times. Oh well it's up there now. N.Y. is a bit of a drive for me.

Ryan, I know I can buy small unshaped pieces of bracewood but it seems like it would be more advantageous to split my own as I would know that my pieces would be truely split and have very little grain run out. I'm still surprised that it is not offered in larger pieces for such purposes.

George, I did happen to find the website Aircraft Spruce. I'm not sure what a spar though. Their site is kind of vague though. I can't tell if their spar stock is quarter sawn or not. I assume it to be as this would offer the strongest material for their intended purpose. I might try ordering a 2' or 3' x 1" thick piece from them.

Chris Fournier
11-12-2012, 9:51 AM
They ship: http://www.forloversofwood.com/instrument_category.aspx?x=0q%2fKaNMaWxyS9XCqOuiC9 A%3d%3d

Jim Ritter
11-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Hi Tony, I just sent you a PM. I've got a bunch of cut offs from boat and spar repairs. Let me know what you need.
Jim

Matt Lau
02-10-2013, 2:06 AM
Just to add to the mix:
Euro Spruce: Old World Tonewood
Adirondack Spruce: Adirondackspruce.com
Sitka: Alaskawoods.com
The top two are famous for being very anal with the quality of wood. The second is the supplier for Collings guitars. The last is a proud sponsor of the Musical Instrument Makers Forum.

However, generally any good wood will do: stiff. perfectly clear. Split off what you need, and you'll be fine.
Doug fir. Pine. Spruce. Cedar. Port Orford Cedar (Cypress). Spanish Cedar. Old growth redwood. All work fine.

Ernie Miller
02-10-2013, 9:04 AM
Condon lumber co. in White Plains,New York sells 2" x 8"+ quartered Sitka spruce for deck planking. I went there years ago and selected a bunch. You really need to pick it out,as its grain and hardness varies greatly.

+1 on Condon lumber (http://www.condonlumber.net/home.html). I used to live 20 minutes from them and I still go up there for Sitka Spruce. They will ship to you.

John Coloccia
02-10-2013, 9:13 AM
I've dealt with Brent at AlaskaWoods, and he's a fine Gentleman. If you don't mind Lutz spruce, which is mostly what I use these days, you can get billets from Shane at http://highmountaintonewood.com/.

Interestingly enough, you can probably find some at the local Home Depot, too. If you think you can identify Spruce in the pile of SPF dimensional lumber, go for it. You may even have a local lumber yard that specifically has spruce and pine segregated. There's nothing at all wrong with that wood, and it's an excellent source for bracing material.

Bob Lemon
02-22-2013, 10:58 PM
THE finest old groth spruce was put into pianos years ago check re-builders and throwaways.

ron david
02-25-2013, 1:18 AM
They ship: http://www.forloversofwood.com/instrument_category.aspx?x=0q%2fKaNMaWxyS9XCqOuiC9 A%3d%3d

I will second What Chris has said. I have been dealing with him for over 30 years and he has always sent me what he says that he is going to ship to you
http://www.forloversofwood.com/productDetail.aspx?x=uMf59k%2bCvkeJT9qQYo%2f4sw%3d %3d

ron

Chris Jackson
02-26-2013, 1:44 PM
Just ordered some Sitka Spruce Bracing Billets from here...great prices, shipped direct.

http://lumber-for-sale.com/Guitar.html

Chris

ron david
02-26-2013, 5:08 PM
I am always a little leary when all these guys seem to have is an email address that you can find on their site, no physical address at all
ron

Chris Jackson
03-02-2013, 11:09 AM
FYI...I have no affiliation with Guitar Woods...

Guitar Woods is a small operation run by Bob Tibbetts. Great guy to deal with, you can all him at 518-733-6085 or 6086, and email him at guitar@guitarwoods.net I've had great product from him, shipped promptly, and he's always happy to send paypal invoices which protects you as the buyer to some degree, if you feel "leary" about buying over the interweb. Just got an order of 5/4 spruce top material for resawing, 8x25x1 brace material, and some pre-cut triangular kerf material, all delivered to my door within 2 days of the order.

Hope that helps,
Chris

george wilson
03-24-2013, 8:50 PM
Aircraft spars are made of quarter sawn spruce. The spars are installed on edge,and quarter sawn spruce is stiffest in the direction(up and down) that the wing will have to bend.