PDA

View Full Version : Tv Headphones for shop

james bell
11-10-2012, 5:01 PM
Any recommendations for headphones for the shop? I usually have my tv on music or news but miss 75% due to the some tool running. Especially true when using my scroll saw with dust collector, since I can sit there for a long period, vs the table saw/bandsaw where the tool only on for short bursts.

scott vroom
11-10-2012, 5:54 PM
I tried music headphones in the shop...I decided that when running dangerous machinery I didn't want anything to distract me from 100% attention to the task at hand.

C Scott McDonald
11-10-2012, 6:00 PM
I tried music headphones in the shop...I decided that when running dangerous machinery I didn't want anything to distract me from 100% attention to the task at hand.

Pretty much the same boat here. When I was focused on the task my mind tuned out the music anyway. I just have a radio in the back ground with some music>

Biff Johnson
11-10-2012, 6:05 PM
I have a set of the Backbeat Bluetooth wireless ear buds and they work great. I particularly enjoy them while sanding or doing some other laborious task.

Kent A Bathurst
11-11-2012, 8:30 AM
Bose noise-cancelling headphones. Big $$$, unfortunately. I don't know if htey make a wireless model, though. Mine are 10 years old.

I wear mine, plugged into the laptop, when I am working at the bench with the ROS or router, which means the shop vac is running also

Lots of great streaming radio stations out there. My cable provider gives me access on-line to the movie and TV on-demad stuff, and other things like ESPN's stations.

james bell
11-11-2012, 4:51 PM
I agree with the distraction factor, but some tasks, sanding, even running a lot of boards through the planer, can easily be done to music. But with the tool and dust collector running, lots of background noise. I figure the headphones would both cancel out the noise and let me hear music, plus it may mean I keep them on even when doing a brief sanding when I tend to not put ear protection on.

Myk Rian
11-11-2012, 4:58 PM
A couple do-gooders here gave me flack because I have a TV in the shop. Tough beans.
It's no surprise if you get flack about headphones.

Chris Rosenberger
11-11-2012, 6:43 PM
A couple do-gooders here gave me flack because I have a TV in the shop. Tough beans.
It's no surprise if you get flack about headphones.

I have 2 tvs in my shop. I have the TVs, DVD player, Roku box & my computer connected to a audio receiver. Instead of the receiver being connected to speakers, I have it connected to a low power FM transmitter that broadcasts the audio on a FM frequency. I use a pair of Stanley AM/FM ear muffs to listen to the audio. The upside to this setup is that I always wear the earmuffs in the shop & if the phone rings or a client comes into my shop, all I have to do is take off the muffs. I do not have to find a remote get to the stereo to to turn it down.

johnny means
11-11-2012, 8:42 PM
I have a pair of wireless Sonys that I'm really happy with. I get all the range I need to cover my 75'x35' shop. They even get through a cinder block partition that runs most of the length of my shop. I think they cost me about $80. They are not audiophile quality by any means, but, in the shop, that really doesn't matter.

Jeff Duncan
11-12-2012, 11:06 AM
I use a inexpensive set of Peltor headphones. I can't see how anyone could be distracted by music...but that's just me. They're a good way to cancel out a lot of the drone of machinery. I also would not have the TV on while I was operating machinery. My feeling is that could distract as you may be tempted to look over at the TV based on what was happening.

Just my opinion FWIW though.....good luck,
JeffD

Mark Leu
11-12-2012, 12:46 PM
I use these and am happy with them

http://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-Hearing-Protector-Compatible/dp/B0013092CS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352742278&sr=8-1&keywords=3m+headphones

Dave Anthony
11-12-2012, 2:49 PM
I wear full coverage headphones hooked to an ipod when using the ROS. I hate sanding and it gives me a way of judging the time, # of songs, albums, etc. depending on the size of the job. For some reason I tend to listen to the Rolling Stones while sanding, & rarely listen to them when I am not.

Ellen Benkin
11-13-2012, 11:39 AM
I also use the 3m WorkTunes. I got them at Home Depot. They can receive radio signals but I use mine only with my ipod. I don't know how anyone can do hours of sanding without music!

Frank Drew
11-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Background music is one thing, and headphones to use while you're planing or some other loud operation, fine, whatever. But a visual distraction like a tv, while you're operating woodworking machinery?

Call when you get to the hospital!

[My personal feeling is that it's best to pay full attention to whatever it is you're doing -- listen to music, or work with wood, not both at the same time.]

glenn bradley
11-13-2012, 12:53 PM

Agree 100%. I know some of you watch the game or whatever when in the shop but, the idea of any distraction when I am woodworking gives me the creeps. JMHO.

johnny means
11-14-2012, 10:07 PM
Are you guys saying that you couldn't keep your eyes on the task at hand if a T.V. was on?:confused: Maybe we should also remove any shiny objects.:rolleyes:

Jim Neeley
11-14-2012, 10:30 PM
Are you guys saying that you couldn't keep your eyes on the task at hand if a T.V. was on?:confused:

Well... to be honest... if it was the "all-bikini channel"... I.. er... um... NOPE! Wouldn't distract me!! :D

scott vroom
11-14-2012, 10:42 PM
I can't speak for the other guys only myself. My experience is that wearing music headphones insulates me from the immediate environment, including the spinning sharp tools, to the point where I'm not fully focused on the task at hand. I view this as dangerous and I no longer wear music headphones because of it. It's a personal choice not open to debate.

Shiny objects in my shop are not a distraction for me, however if you feel they put you at risk of injury:eek: then yes by all means remove them from your shop ;)

Are you guys saying that you couldn't keep your eyes on the task at hand if a T.V. was on?:confused: Maybe we should also remove any shiny objects.:rolleyes:

Jeff Duncan
11-15-2012, 10:15 AM

Or look at it this way....what's the point of having a TV on if your focusing on the task at hand:confused: Television by it's very nature requires both audio and visual attention vs music which only requires audio. So why would you want to have something on which requires your visual attention, when you cannot give it?

Oh and FWIW I don't keep shiny objects in my shop either....that's why I like my machines to be big, old, and well worn:D

JeffD

Frank Drew
11-16-2012, 8:46 PM

Johnny,

You ever try to have a conversation with somebody in a bar with a big television showing something flashy and entertaining, like a football game?

They're absolutely a distraction; another question: You ever see a television in a commercial shop?

Jacob Reverb
11-16-2012, 8:55 PM
I only wear headphones when working on the lathe. I find they make it easier to text people and check Farcebook while I'm roughing out bowl blanks.

Without headphones, it feels like I'm trying to do too much at once. http://www.weldingweb.com/images/smilies/dizzy.gif

johnny means
11-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Johnny,
You ever try to have a conversation with somebody in a bar with a big television showing something flashy and entertaining, like a football game?

If I was being told tomorrows winning Powerball #s, I think I could manage to ignore the game. Like wise if my fingers depended on it.

They're absolutely a distraction; another question: You ever see a television in a commercial shop?

Well, no, I haven't ever seen a TV in a commercial shop. But being someone who runs and owns a commercial shop, I can tell you that a TV would be the least of my distractions. If I can keep a handle on four guys, watch out for a delivery, handle several sales related calls and remember to pick up the kids all while milling a pile of lumber, I think a TV, which doesn't actually require my attention would be manageable.

My point is, a television in the shop is not a hazard. Bad work habits and inattention are, and they don't require any specific gadget to be a problem.

Frank Drew
11-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Well, no, I haven't ever seen a TV in a commercial shop. But being someone who runs and owns a commercial shop, I can tell you that a TV would be the least of my distractions.

My point is, a television in the shop is not a hazard. Bad work habits and inattention are, and they don't require any specific gadget to be a problem.

Would you let your guys set up and watch TVs while they're working?

Do you have a small TV on the dashboard of your vehicle that you watch while driving?

I work in an ER; I see almost daily evidence that most people vastly overestimate their own ability to multi-task, particularly when one of the tasks is very unforgiving of inattention.

Matt Meiser
11-25-2012, 12:17 PM
I tried the Worktunes and wasn't thrilled with the sound quality. Actually I thought they were terrible. I switched to a good pair of ear buds with my ear-muff hearing protection over that. My biggest use for this is mowing--a couple hours a week on average. In the shop I mostly do this when doing a lot of jointing/planing. Usually everything else either the noise duration is so short I don't even think about it, or for the example of sanding, my vac is quiet enough to hear music over. Bose headphones will block out the low level noise, but are no substitute for hearing protection.

As far as distractions, to each his own. That's a judgement call for everyone to make on their own based on their own limits. I can sit in front of the TV surfing the web and successfully miss 1/2 the plot of a show. Thank god for DVRs. There is a monitor in my shop but it shows my CCTV cameras so I can see if someone pulls in the driveway. There are people shouldn't be operating any tool in a empty, white, soundproof room.

The ER see the people who can't successfully ignore distractions. Plenty of people do and don't require their services. :D

scott vroom
11-25-2012, 1:13 PM
Well, no, I haven't ever seen a TV in a commercial shop. But being someone who runs and owns a commercial shop, I can tell you that a TV would be the least of my distractions. If I can keep a handle on four guys, watch out for a delivery, handle several sales related calls and remember to pick up the kids all while milling a pile of lumber, I think a TV, which doesn't actually require my attention would be manageable.

"...a TV would be the least of my distractions as I'm watching my employees, handling sales calls, remembering to pick up the kids". Johnny, these aren't exactly dangerous activities. I'd bet your insurance carrier would have something to say about you allowing your employees to watch TV in your shop.

There are studies showing music headphones etc. to be a distraction in task oriented work. Some posters in this thread choose to take on the added risk, that's a personal choice...after all it's your shop, your flesh and blood, your medical bills. Crank it up to eleven and drown out those 3,000 RPM spinning flesh cutters. It's like driving a car....every time you get behind the wheel your chances of accident are increased vs walking. A lot of folks consider this an acceptable risk.

Jacob Reverb
11-25-2012, 6:08 PM
If I have a pile of lumber to rip while surfing Facebook and texting the kids, I generally use one of these on my "non-ripping" arm:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads21/zY5GXp1353764808.jpg

scott vroom
11-25-2012, 6:28 PM
Followed shortly by the iAmputation.

If I have a pile of lumber to rip while surfing Facebook and texting the kids, I generally use one of these on my "non-ripping" arm:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads21/zY5GXp1353764808.jpg

Matt Meiser
11-25-2012, 8:01 PM
Hmm, makes me think that one could adapt an iPad mont to an over arm guard pretty easy.

Frank Drew
11-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Hmm, makes me think that one could adapt an iPad mont to an over arm guard pretty easy.

Yes, turn a safety feature into a hazard. Perfect!

Ted Baca
11-26-2012, 12:53 PM
I have a set of Peltor FM headphones that have a microphone on them that lets me listen to what is going on in the shop. When a loud noise at 80db occurs it cuts off the noise. Now you may try to get a set of these and if you want to watch TV a FM re-broadcaster is available that can take the TV sound and play it at an unused FM frequency. I have thought of getting one so that I can listen to XM radio, but find that when I am using noisy power tools I really don't pay attention to the the radio. I do have some good speakers that can be heard very well through out the shop and that seems to do the trick for me.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/PPESafetySolutions/PPESafety/Personal_Protective_Equipment/Product_Catalog/~/3M-Peltor-Alert-AM-FM-Radio-Headset-M2RX7A-Headband-1-ea-cs?N=4294930390+5011378&Nr=AND%28hrcy_id%3A7QC5NFXVR4gs_W34RS1N2PP_N2RL3FH WVK_GPD0K8BC31gv%29&rt=d

http://www.amazon.com/0-5-Fail-Safe-Long-Range-Transmitter/dp/B003FO4UHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353952377&sr=8-1&keywords=fm+broadcaster