PDA

View Full Version : 3-Pens (be kind)

Mike Goetzke
11-10-2012, 1:43 PM
Finally got around to turn some pens on my new (to me) lathe. The lathe is a Delta 46-460 that I bought slightly used from a creeker, I also bought lots of prep tools from another creeker, and yet another creeker suggested getting the PSI mandrel saver live tail stock to go along with my PSI Maxi mandrel. Prep work was a pain but turning was fun but went too quickly! I also used my new (to me..again) Tormek system to sharpen my tools - followed the directions and the edges/shapes are perfect.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/mbg/IMG_0363.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Mike

Jim Burr
11-10-2012, 2:35 PM
Great job Mike!! I like the satin'ish finish on your work. I have the Grizzly knock-off of the Tormek and I know what you mean...it's second to none!!

Peter Fabricius
11-10-2012, 3:02 PM
Great job on those Mike;
I wonder if it would be possible to use a cut off real casing and a real FMJ bullet?
The casings can be obtained in the nickle finish to match the upper part of this kit.
Just a thought and I wonder if anyone has looked at doing this.
Peter F.

Jim Burr
11-10-2012, 4:28 PM
Great job on those Mike;
I wonder if it would be possible to use a cut off real casing and a real FMJ bullet?
The casings can be obtained in the nickle finish to match the upper part of this kit.
Just a thought and I wonder if anyone has looked at doing this.
Peter F.

Tutorial on IAP and I think on Youtube as well. I do them with .50cal ammo

Sid Matheny
11-10-2012, 6:20 PM
Real nice job on the pens! What finish did you use? Jim I think Peter was talking about using the the real thing on the bottom of the bolt action pen.

Sid

Roger Chandler
11-10-2012, 7:21 PM
Nice work Mike.......glad the Maxi-Mandrel and live center [mandrel saver] worked out well for you........you are off to a great start!

Josh Bowman
11-10-2012, 8:25 PM
Love the wood! Very nice job.

Mike Goetzke
11-10-2012, 8:57 PM
Thanks for the nice feedback. I just used paste was on these. The wood is Brazilian cherry.

(Roger - that combo is way better than a drill chuck and std. live center.)

Mike

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2012, 9:20 PM
Really nice job and great looking pens. Paste wax probably won't last very long but again that isn't all bad because it will attain a natural patena.

Jim Burr
11-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Real nice job on the pens! What finish did you use? Jim I think Peter was talking about using the the real thing on the bottom of the bolt action pen.

Sid

:o Oops...Thanks Sid. Yeah...looking at it, standard .223 and smaller wood section...it'll work.:D

Robert Vroman
11-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Nice work! I like the choice of Brazilian as it compliments the brass/copper at the writing end.

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2012, 8:34 PM
Mike - these look great to me! I like the Cherry and silver color combo! Nice work!

Doug W Swanson
11-11-2012, 11:18 PM
Nice job, Mike. I like the satin finish and the cherry looks great with the chrome....