PDA

View Full Version : How to remove a Delta power cord

art pfenn
11-10-2012, 10:43 AM
I am attempting to replace my power cord but can't get the plastic thing that holds it in the motor released. Delta Seems to use the same system on a lot of it's tools. I called them and they said just turn it 1/2 turn. I have tried to turn it until I'm blue in the face but no luck. Am I doing something wrong? Here is a picture of the part, it's not very clear but anyone who knows what I'm talking about will recognize it.

Bob Wingard
11-10-2012, 11:30 AM
There's a small tab kinda thingie built into it that snaps open a fraction of an inch when the retainer is pushed into the hole ... you will need to once again compress that tab with pliers in order to make the device small enough to come back out of the hole. It is a pretty tight fit, but not at all difficult once you see what you need to do. If nothing else, go to a hardware store and look at a new one ... it will be very obvious then what you need to do.

http://www.franklingolfcar.com/product-p/3471.htm?gclid=CPam94HpxLMCFQvznAodxUsAGA ... here's a picture of one that is open ... it should help you to envision what's going on.

Myk Rian
11-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Squeeze it from the inside.

Phil Thien
11-10-2012, 4:30 PM
That type of strain relief often requires a substantial amount of force to get the required compression to insert and remove. You should know that when it comes time to insert the new cord into the same strain relief and into the hole, it may be extremely difficult.

They do make special pliars for that job. Google "strain relief pliars" for pics. You can find these relatively inexpensively on eBay.

Charles Lent
11-10-2012, 9:47 PM
I always use a pair of slip joint pliers (commonly known as Channel-Lock) and squeeze the two pieces of plastic (the U shaped piece that wraps around the wire, and the smaller piece that fits in the U) together. This takes considerable force. There is a shoulder on both pieces that fit arounf the edge of the hole. Squeezing them together reduces the diameter and, while squeezing, you can pull it out of the hole. Once it is out it will be very easy to see how it works so you can use it again with the replacement length of cable, but getting the new piece of cable squeezed in this strain relief will take a bit more effort than removing it required since it will need to form a bend in the cable as it goes together.

Charley

ray hampton
11-11-2012, 11:29 AM
some of the holes may have a square notch that fit the strain -relief

Steve Kohn
11-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Search on eBAY for "Electrical Strain Relief Bushing Pliers". They are $3.

As my Daddy used to say, use the proper tool for the job. That's why I have a garage full of tools, many unused.

art pfenn
11-12-2012, 8:42 AM
Thanks to all. I ordered the pliers off of Ebay. You guys all new how to take the thing apart but the tech from Delta was clueless. Why didn't he just tell me that and saved me the trouble of trying to turn it off like heb told me to do!

glenn bradley
11-12-2012, 8:47 AM
Thanks to all. I ordered the pliers off of Ebay. You guys all new how to take the thing apart but the tech from Delta was clueless. Why didn't he just tell me that and saved me the trouble of trying to turn it off like heb told me to do!

I also use channel-locks for this. I share your frustration for people who won't say "I don't know" and instead give you bogus info and waste your time. People who give bad directions are at the top of that list for me. The Delta folks "should" have known or known where to find out. Hope you get it done in short order.