PDA

View Full Version : Poll, how many folks own a portable mini lathe?

Josh Bowman
11-10-2012, 7:06 AM
My local club, has only one large lathe, but several members have mini lathes. I'd like to try to get them started with occasional Saturday workshops. My thoughts are the members with the mini's could just bring them to a central location and we could use them. How useful are they for this kind of idea. I realize not large bowl turning or hollowing could be done.

Dennis Ford
11-10-2012, 7:09 AM
I own a mini and a large lathe and will keep both.

Keith Outten
11-10-2012, 7:28 AM
I own a Jet mini lathe. It has been transported to various locations, mostly shopping malls, many times over the last ten years to turn pens for the Freedom Pens Project and to a local University to allow students to turn pens. My lathe is mounted on a hydraulic table for both mobility and an easy means of adjusting the height.

Thom Sturgill
11-10-2012, 7:28 AM
Like many, I started with a mini and upgraded to a large(er) lathe. I use the small one for teaching and special projects that need its long bed extension.

Marc Himes
11-10-2012, 8:00 AM
I have both but only use the larger lathe.

Todd Burch
11-10-2012, 8:04 AM
Jet mini, Delta large, and Atlas metal.

Brian Libby
11-10-2012, 8:18 AM
I have a Rikon mini and have taken it to club meetings. One meeting there were 6 minis and everyone took turns making "Tops for Kids".Tops were then given to a hospital

Robert Henrickson
11-10-2012, 8:58 AM
I have a mini and a large (both Jets). Since I bought the large one maybe five years ago, I haven't used the mini
but am unlikely to sell it since it could be useful for demos.

Tony Pridmore
11-10-2012, 9:13 AM
My local club, has only one large lathe, but several members have mini lathes. I'd like to try to get them started with occasional Saturday workshops. My thoughts are the members with the mini's could just bring them to a central location and we could use them.
The club I belong to does this. We started with a mini (or maybe it was a member's), eventually bought a full sized lathe and later added several mini's for demonstrations and workshops. Members also bring their mini lathes to these events. Our workshops are held quarterly. The frequency works out great, in my opinion.

Personally, I have both a full sized lathe and a mini. The mini is generally used only for this purpose.

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2012, 9:51 AM
I have a Jet and my large Nova. I use them both.

John RStegall
11-10-2012, 10:29 AM
I own a Jet mini and a Carbatec...there really wasn't a category that fit my machines well so I just voted as having a mini and a large lathe. I am in the process of building a bowl lathe.

Jim Burr
11-10-2012, 10:30 AM
I use both my Jet's on a weekly basis. The 1014 sat in my truck for 4 days because I was to lazy to get it out!

Harry Robinette
11-10-2012, 1:17 PM
I have a original Delta Midi, 2 Jet 10-14, Carba-tech, 18" General bed , Vega 2600 Bowl, Jet 9-20 medal and a HF 7-10 Medal. I use them all for different things at different times. Mini's and Midi have been all over the place to teach or just to show Wood turning.

Harvey M. Taylor
11-10-2012, 5:14 PM
I have a PM3520b. a delta 46 460 and a jet 1014 for demos and freedom pens.
Max.

Ed Morgano
11-10-2012, 9:06 PM
Josh, i have my home made wood lathe 20x42 and a rikon mini. I use both quite often. I've turned a lot on the mini lathe up to about 11 3/4" diameter. Very slow, but it's doable.

Jon McElwain
11-10-2012, 10:10 PM
I have a Delta 46-460 and a Oneway 2436. The Oneway stays put - even though I have a set of wheels for it. I have taken the Delta out on "field trips" for demonstrations on occasion. It is small enough that I can pick it up and put it in the back of my Subaru. The hardest part it gathering up all the turning tools and accessories. I always try to take a vacuum of some sort as well in order to clean up the inevitable mess I make. The lathe ends up just being another tool to load. I think a Saturday workshop would be a fantastic idea. I don't know what your club meeting area looks like, but I could see having several member lathes set up in a workshop on temporary stands/sawhorses/workbenches/etc. I'm sure I could have 4-5 extra minis in my shop if I moved some stuff around. Sounds like a great time!!

Robert Vroman
11-10-2012, 10:53 PM
I am seriously considering a mini. It is not that I have the need to travel with one, but a space issue. I kept my old 12x42 lathe for my 8 year old who is really enjoying it. But the shop is really just too small for that and the 1642. He would be fine with a mini, and I could put it on a shelf when not in use. (It would open up travel as well if that ever becomes a reality.

Reed Gray
11-11-2012, 12:07 PM
I have 3 lathes, American Beauty for large, Liberty for medium (using it more than the Beauty now actually), and a Jet mini (1224) for making threaded boxes with a Klein jig. The mini gets used the least, but not practical to do boxes on the big lathes.

robo hippy