PDA

View Full Version : My First Project Post

Robert Vroman
11-10-2012, 2:51 AM
Having lurked here for several years and being in awe of the amazing talent represented on this board I have always been reluctant to post any of my work. However, I have decided to jump into the "deep end" so to speak and make my first project post. :eek: This was my first attempt at this type of ornament, and any thoughts/critiques would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

Josh Bowman
11-10-2012, 6:54 AM
Robert, my only comment is that looks very nice. Those would make nice gifts.

Dennis Ford
11-10-2012, 7:08 AM
I have posted many pictures and your first one is something that I want to copy. Nice work, what else do you have hidden?

Marc Himes
11-10-2012, 8:04 AM
Very nice ornament Robert. I really like the way you carried the finial up into the globe. Nice work!

Eric Holmquist
11-10-2012, 9:10 AM
Excellent job!

The only thing I can suggest to improve it would be to make the strait slopes where the finials attach to the ball slightly concave creating an ogee like effect.

Bernie Weishapl
11-10-2012, 9:53 AM
Really nice looking ornament. All I can say is you need to post more pic's.

Mark Hubl
11-10-2012, 10:56 AM
Welcome in. Very nice ornament, lot going on. I also like the way the finial carries into the center. Lot going on nice work, can't wait to see more.

Thom Sturgill
11-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Robert, glad you jumped in, the water is fine! Really.

I will make a few, hopefully constructive, comments. The globe is fine, maybe a little sanding in the corners, but makes for a very effective ornament. The walnut pieces need much more curve to them, both where they meet the globe and in the icicle which is far too straight for my tastes. While the contrast is great, in my experience, walnut has not been the best wood for this type of detail.

The part that shows inside the globe is fine as far as it goes, but should go much further. If you try this again, and I hope you do, think about making that part at least 3/4 of the height of the globe and about as large as you can fit in the opening. Maybe shaped to look like a tree, or a globe within a globe, or a bell hanging from the top.

Keep up the good work!

Steve Schlumpf
11-10-2012, 1:04 PM
Robert - I like the originality of your ornament! I agree with the suggestions that Thom made with regard to a cove at the finial/top junctions but overall... just keep doing what you're doing cause it's nice work! Looking forward to seeing more of your turnings!

Robert Vroman
11-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Hi All,

Thanks so much for the comments and suggestions. I have always been nervous about posting as everyone here does such great work. I have another one in the very early stages of production, so the ideas about the curvature of the finials, etc. are exactly what I was looking for.

Thom, thanks so much for your thoughts. One question though, I am hollowing through a 3/4" hole, would having a 3/4" diameter finial in the middle be "too heavy" as compared to the size of the ribs? Or, should I go with a 1/2" hole to hollow though and then a 1/2" diameter inside finial? (I like the idea of making the inside finial longer) Another suggestion I received, and liked, is to put a double spiral on the finial, that way it will look like spiral continues right down the piece.

Thanks again to everyone!

Thom Sturgill
11-11-2012, 4:26 AM
What I was taught in making these ornaments was to shapew MOST of the outside leaving about an inch diameter at the top. Then use a forstner bit and drill into the blank, working from what will be the bottom, to what would be the inside top. Then hollow the globe, and finish the outside leaving 1/2" diameter connected. Use a 5/8" forstner bit and drill from the bottom to release the globe. The top and bottom pieces then have a short tenon that fits to the openings. With your spiral cut outs opening the inside to view, an appropriately sized turning could be placed inside to view, and what you put there is limited only to your imagination and the size of the opening. This is definitely worth playing with as you are well on the way to having VERY unique and VERY appealing ornaments. (Not that this effort isn't, just that I think you can take this to another level)

BTW, I haven't had the nerve to try the spiral cut though I have seen it on finials and vessels before. I bought a 'Lancelot' wheel and quickly determined that that was not a safe tool for me to use!! I suppose I could hand cut the slots, but am currently busy developing pieces using offset turnings.