PDA

View Full Version : FESTOOL: Took the plunge, need advice

Ken Waag
04-21-2005, 11:53 AM
I've been simmering the Festool Circular Saw and guide idea for a while. Saw one on ebay lightly used (AT 65 E w/1400FS2 [55"] rail) for $150 less than it would've cost new plus I got a free spare blade ($52 new). It arrived yesterday and looks like new. I'm Happy. :) End of Gloat. ;) I've been forever searching for a good system of dealing with sheet goods so hopefully this will be it.

Could use ideas from users. My typical use will be ripping and cross-cutting sheet goods. What do you recommend in terms of rails? I'm supposing the 55" is about right for CCing. What's the best way to go for ripping (8')?
I guess I can get another 55" and connectors, or is it easier to just get a longer one so as not to mess with connecting/disconnecting? Also, I don't know how "true" the connected joint is: Does it stay straight, Does it cause a little glitch in the cut?

And if I go with a long piece, what's the best length? I'm assuming you'd want some extra length on each end to start and finish the cut, I'm just not sure how much. The 2700 (106") would give me 10" to split. The 3000 leaves an extra 2 feet.

Any thoughts from the experienced would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Ken

John Stevens
04-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Ken, congratulations on your purchase. I owned the AT65 briefly before exchanging it for the ATF55, which has a shorter plate as well as a smaller blade. It is possible to "crosscut" a 48" panel with the FS 1400 with the AT65, but because it only gives you a total of ~ 7" before and after the panel, it's a little tricky. You need to set up the guide rail just right so you don't "run out of rail" before you get a full-depth cut at the beginning and end of the panel.

For "ripping" the length of a 96" panel, I use the FS2700, but I still need to pay a little attention on how I place it so I don't run out of rail at the beginning or end of the cut. I haven't tried joining two guide rails. I've heard some folks report that there's a "hitch" when the saw plate reaches the joint. I decided I didn't need the portability of two shorter rails, so I went for the FS2700. In hindsight, I'd probably have been better off paying the extra $21 for the FS3000 in order to have to fiddle a little less when making cuts across a 96+" long sheet, but it's a close call.

I'll send you a p.m. with a little more info.

JayStPeter
04-21-2005, 12:58 PM
I went with the two 55" rails to save some money. Someday, I will get a 106" rail. Connecting the 2 rails makes a nice straight cut. I do have a slight bump in the road at the connection point. Not everyone has that problem. There was a thread about it on the Festool Owners Group recently. The only downside I can see to the longer rail is storage and cost.
The little plastic piece that guides the cord and hose is also worthwhile.

Jay

Dave Avery
04-21-2005, 1:23 PM
I went with the two 55" rails to save some money. Someday, I will get a 106" rail. Connecting the 2 rails makes a nice straight cut. I do have a slight bump in the road at the connection point. Not everyone has that problem. There was a thread about it on the Festool Owners Group recently. The only downside I can see to the longer rail is storage and cost.
The little plastic piece that guides the cord and hose is also worthwhile.

Jay

I have the same set-up and have found the same experience as Jay.....

Mark Carlson
04-21-2005, 3:05 PM
I also went with 2 55in rails. I dont notice a bump in the middle. When I ordered the 2nd 55in rail I should have ordered the one with the holes, so I could eventually use the hole drilling set, LR 32-SYS.

Per Swenson
04-21-2005, 9:35 PM
Hi Ken,
Congrats!
You will not be dissapointed.
I regularly connect 3 ,1400 rails and or 2 1400 and
a 800. I do not have even the slightest bump problem.
I know it may sound like sacrilige, but I am not gentle
with these tools.
There is a picture of three linked together here.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=18701
Per

Frank Pellow
04-25-2005, 8:27 PM
Like Per, I have joined three 1400 mm rails and have not experienced any "bump" at the joints (when using my AT 55 saw).

Dave Falkenstein
04-25-2005, 10:17 PM
The /2 rails use two connectors, which is what you said you got in your purchase. I believe the older rails used one connector, and I hear were a bit more prone to alignment issues than the current /2 model. I have two 55 inch rails and experience no bump at the joint.