PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Card Ideas?

Stanley Waldrup
11-09-2012, 5:31 PM
I thought this year I would burn out some Christmas cards on the old laser. Anyone have any good ideas?
Stanley

Chuck Stone
11-09-2012, 5:40 PM
Pretty much any scroll saw pattern or ornament file can make a good cutout..
Colored card stock on the outside and a contrasting color on the inside, so the
card is effectively 4 sheets (2 front, 2 back)

Some laser foil (sticks to toner when you put it through a laminator or laser printer)
can give you some unusual effects that people probably won't see in other cards..
that can really spice up the inside of a card.

Michael Hunter
11-09-2012, 6:18 PM
3/32" constructional beech veneer. Roughly sprayed with gold and/or silver paints (so the wood shows through some). Engraved and cut-outs (tree, snowflake etc.).

On some I did a snowflake from 1/16" frosted acrylic and pressed that into a matching hole in the card.

Not sure that the designs were that good, but people liked them - not many had seen wooden cards before.

Dee Gallo
11-09-2012, 6:31 PM
Layered pieces, cutouts and mixed media - all add together to make spectacular cards. I like to combine things like thin cork, wood veneer, laid fiber papers, corrugated papers, lace, ribbon and so on. You can also combine different things for different "looks" such as bright colored cardstock, fun foam, buttons, rickrack - or - metallic papers, foils, black canvas, red velour paper. There are endless possibilities. Origami shapes are also great additions.

cheers, dee

Mike Null
11-10-2012, 7:20 AM
Do a search for posts by Jiten Patel. He makes wedding invitations, etc. and his work is spectacular. It will give you some ideas for Christmas cards.

Here's one.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?192478-Picture-Matte-ideas

Jiten Patel
11-12-2012, 4:36 AM
Thanks Mile, appreciate your kind words.

Stanley, making Christmas cards from card is easy. As Chuck said, scroll saw or filigree patterns, overlay a Famous Christmas symbol such as a x-mas tree and voila, a lovely elegant Christmas card. Mixing media is also a great trick, but be careful not to get carried and away and combine loads of materials (no offence Dee). Things can go from classy and chic to tacky and homemade gaff in no time at all - but this does depend on personal taste.

Mirrored acrylic and card makes for a great card with a luxury feel. Layer up the different media. So you have one design, split it strategically and cut layers from acrylic and some from card and layer them up to complete the original design. Time consuming, but if they are for personal use - then making 20-30 shouldn't be an issue.

Here are our 2012 Xmas cards.

Dee Gallo
11-12-2012, 10:43 AM
No offense taken Jit, balance is always critical. Loads of materials are not good for one card, but there are loads of materials one can choose from.

cheers, dee