PDA

View Full Version : Happy accident

Shawn Pixley
11-09-2012, 1:12 PM
I am travelling on business right now. Today I needed to take a train from Zurich to Basel. In the train station as I waited for a colleague, an award ceremony for a woodworking competition sponsored by ETH dARCH Zurich (GTA program) was being conducted. While my fluency in Swiss German is limited (Bavarian dialect - yes, Swiss not so much), I listened as long as I could before boarding.

http://www.ausstellungen.gta.arch.ethz.ch/events/hoelzer-formen-e

"For the first time ever, teams of carpenters and designers have the chance to go head to head in a national competition. To mark 125 years since its foundation, the Swiss Association of Master Carpenters and Furniture Manufacturers (VSSM) has launched the WoodAward 2012. The aim is to promote Switzerland as a production location and bring together Swiss craftsmanship and design. Carpenters, designers and architects were invited to unite idea and execution in a joint product made of wood or wood-based materials."

Behind the audience were demonstration stations for the various woodworkers. I have never seen such a large group of Festool equipment outside a showroom. There must have been 25 Kapex. Even more impressive was the collection of handtools that each competitor had. Trully blended woodworkers. I need to track down the exhibition when I get back to Zurich. I'll post photos when I get back stateside.

David Nelson1
11-09-2012, 6:44 PM
way cool. I would be interested in seeing those pics!