PDA

View Full Version : Some Recent Turning

Steve Doerr
11-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Been a reader for awhile and have made a few comments. So I thought it was time to make my first attempt at posting some pictures. So, here it goes:
Picture 1 is of a red oak burl hollow form that is 8"W x 5 1/2"H.
Picture 2 is of a cherry burl vase that is 5 1/2"W x 10"H.
Picture 3 is of a ambrosia mapel that is 5 1/2"W x 3 1/4"H.
Picture 4 is of a trapezoidal oak dish with brass inlay--1 1/2"H x 7" W x 8" D

All have been dipped in an oil blend and Beall buffed.

Critique on pictures and turnings would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Mark Hubl
11-09-2012, 1:22 AM
Glad you posted the work. They all look good to me, but I think you forth pic is a repeat of the first. Hate when that happens!

I like the first and second pieces the best and the finish on them looks pretty good.

charlie knighton
11-09-2012, 7:58 AM
very nice, agree with mark on #4, really like your shape on #2

Eric Holmquist
11-09-2012, 8:06 AM
I really like #2 and #3

Steve Doerr
11-09-2012, 9:31 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I'll try the excuse that it was late last night when I posted the pictures. Or would it be better to use the excuse that it was my first time to post pictures:rolleyes: This is the trapezoidal dish.

Scott Hackler
11-09-2012, 9:58 AM
Steve, nice work. I like the square one a lot.

As far as the pictures themselves, here are my thoughts. I would like to see the photos croppped a little less. The tight cropping seems a little less appealing to my eye than a clear, thick border of background...all around the turnings. Lightning seems OK, but either white balance on the camera or in the photo program needs to be similar. The reason I say that is that I assume you are using the same backgroiund in all the photos, yet the background seems different in each photo. It is a struggle sometimes to get that perfect or close to perfect photo, but you photos are light years above where I started. Either way, not deal breakers just thoughts on possible improvements.

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2012, 10:39 AM
Really nice Steve. I like #1 and the Square one.

Steve Doerr
11-09-2012, 8:27 PM
Scott,
Thanks for your input on the pictures. The white balance is a real struggle. These were my first pictures with raw data and I was using the Windows photo editing program. I have downloaded GIMP 2 and will see how that goes. I hope it has a short learning curve. As far as more white space around the turnings, I wanted people to be able to see what the objects looked like up close. IMHO, so many of the pictures that get posted don't do the turning justice because you don't get a good view of the object. However, from an artistic point of view I will definitely agree with you that more white space is needed.
Steve