PDA

View Full Version : Another Ornament

Kathy Marshall
11-08-2012, 9:55 PM
This is the latest ornament. The ball is cherry dyed red and the hanger and icicle are holly.
Decided to try a few little things with this one. I used my D-way teardrop tool to add the little cove around the center and the tiny ring around the top. Then used my Foredom with a tiny ball cutter to add a few piercings around the top. Should have added more piercings, but I wanted to see how it turned out first (and I didn't want to be out there all night :eek:). I'll probably add more to the next one.
I went with the more oval shape so it would be shallower to hollow, the little allen wrench tools don't like to go very deep.

It's finished with several coats of lacquer.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Roger Chandler
11-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Very classy K! I like the color combination and your hanger and icicle are well done!

Baxter Smith
11-08-2012, 10:59 PM
The color combo looks great Kathy. The little details are neat but something doesn't seem quite right in proportions between the globe, top and finial. Part may just be due to the whiteness of the holly as far as the appearance of heavyness in the top. I prefer the cove on the top to the straightline of the icicle on the bottom. Picky tonight aren't I.;):)

Lori Kleinberg
11-08-2012, 11:25 PM
Very pretty.

Glenn Barber
11-09-2012, 12:24 AM
Very nice, especially the globe shape! What type of dye did you use?

Glenn

Mark Hubl
11-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Prettiest one yet. I really like the contrast of the red and the holly and the little piercings do add a nice touch.

Curt Fuller
11-09-2012, 8:57 AM
Be careful Kathy, I can see you slipping into one of the secondary vortexes. ;) That's a beautiful ornament, the red really looks nice with the holly.

Bernie Weishapl
11-09-2012, 10:45 AM
That is a beauty Kathy and love the wood combo.

Kathy Marshall
11-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Thanks everyone!

The color combo looks great Kathy. The little details are neat but something doesn't seem quite right in proportions between the globe, top and finial. Part may just be due to the whiteness of the holly as far as the appearance of heavyness in the top. I prefer the cove on the top to the straightline of the icicle on the bottom. Picky tonight aren't I.;):)
Yes, you are a little picky :rolleyes:, but I also think the top is a little too thick. I knew the white of the holly would make it look heavier than it is.

Very nice, especially the globe shape! What type of dye did you use?

Glenn
Glen, the dye is a metal compound dye, not sure of the brand. I got it from Chris Pytlik when he demo'd for our club.

Be careful Kathy, I can see you slipping into one of the secondary vortexes. ;) That's a beautiful ornament, the red really looks nice with the holly.
I done slipped already! :eek:

BILL DONAHUE
11-11-2012, 11:06 AM
Very nice colors and shape. Those D-Way tools are fantastic.

Steve Schlumpf
11-11-2012, 4:13 PM
Really like the color combo on this! The piercing is a cool idea and another way to lighten the ornament. Have fun with it!

James Combs
11-11-2012, 7:59 PM
Definitely eye catching Kathy, can't wait to see the next one.