PDA

View Full Version : The wheels have been turning.......I am soliciting opinions.......

Roger Chandler
11-08-2012, 9:01 PM
I have been thinking about how having to setup and break down a chuck really cuts down on production time with a run of turnings that sometimes get requested like ornaments........when you have to break down and then do a roof or for boxes when you have to a lid.

I have been thinking about getting a midi lathe as a second lathe.......:eek: I presently do not have room for another full size. Being as I use 1.25 inch chuck inserts on my current lathe, and my older lathe which has been turned into scrap metal a couple years ago, had 1x8 tpi threads and I have an adaptor for the 1.25x8 that will reduce to the 1x8 I think I am covered for compatibility.

Now in your opinion what lathe would be the way to go? I thought it would be the Delta 46-460 because I liked its features for the money, but as of late I have heard numbers of issues with them.......and Delta service and parts seem to be less than stellar at present.......I guess they are still trying to work out the company being sold by Black and Decker [at least that is what I heard from a dealer]

Any thoughts you might have on a good midi at a reasonable price would be appreciated.......thanks!

Mark Hubl
11-09-2012, 1:09 AM
3520B isn't 3520B always the answer? Just kidding. Carry on.

Rick Markham
11-09-2012, 3:28 AM
You don't need a second lathe Roger. (second lathes are always nice) just a bunch of chucks. Set all the chucks up the same and make multiple pieces, just do the same operation for every single one of them then change over the lathe for the next operation, go through all the pieces doing that operation, rinse and repeat until finished. The only resetting you have do during this is swapping pieces by screwing their chuck on and away you go. It's a simple strategy to minimize change overs etc. You can work as many pieces at the same time as you want, they can even all be different :D This is how I have started working. :) (It's something to consider)

Philip Duffy
11-09-2012, 5:08 AM
Roger, I have a Jet mini in my garage next to the PM 3520 and I often work from one to the next, particularly when doing small pieces that go on the larger one on the PM. It is super quick to switch to a different size chuck, etc. Very handy indeed. Phil

John Keeton
11-09-2012, 5:44 AM
Roger, I agree with Rick - more chucks! Possibly cheaper than a new lathe, and for me, it would seem easier than switching between two lathes that will "feel" different. I have 6 chucks, three of which have 50mm jaws installed. I often have those three or more in use.

Gary Max
11-09-2012, 5:48 AM
We have two of the 46-460s----- yup getting over the controller troubles is a pain but not really a big deal. My wife's 2 year old Delta is still stock--- I have a new controller ready to slap on it but so far we are good. The biggest downfall is dust is a open DC controller---- not real smart.
The Delta's run a whole bunch more than my 4224----- they are hard to beat.

Roger Chandler
11-09-2012, 6:14 AM
You don't need a second lathe Roger. (second lathes are always nice) just a bunch of chucks. Set all the chucks up the same and make multiple pieces, just do the same operation for every single one of them then change over the lathe for the next operation, go through all the pieces doing that operation, rinse and repeat until finished. :) (It's something to consider)

Trust me Rick........I thought about all that.........called batch turning.......turn a number of one piece, switch, repeat, etc. Having one part of a project on one lathe and the other on another is surely appealing......

If my local vendor still has one of those 46-460's in stock.......I may come home with one today! :eek::eek::eek: Quick.....somebody stop him before he goes off the deep end! :rolleyes: I may need an intervention! :p;):D

Roger Chandler
11-09-2012, 6:16 AM
Roger, I agree with Rick - more chucks! Possibly cheaper than a new lathe, and for me, it would seem easier than switching between two lathes that will "feel" different. I have 6 chucks, three of which have 50mm jaws installed. I often have those three or more in use.

Uh.......John.........another chuck is the next order of business.......I am debating between the G3 and another SN2....if I get the Delta......I guess it will be the G3.......did you use a SN2 on your Delta when you had it?

Thom Sturgill
11-09-2012, 7:03 AM
I tend to go with more chucks too. I kept my mini (Jet 1220) when I bought my 1642. I use it for occasional teaching but little else thoug it is set up with a bed extension and gives 52" between centers. On the other hand I have 6 chucks and use them all. Two are set up for the small lathe, but I have an adapter and use them on the large lathe too. I have 50mm jaws for both machines and 25mm, 75mm, and 100mm for the large machine. The last chuck I change as desired from a variety of jaws I purchased when I used only the small lathe with 2 PSI chucks.

John Keeton
11-09-2012, 7:28 AM
Roger, I responded to your email, and yes, I used the SN2 on the Delta and it worked fine.

Bill Bulloch
11-09-2012, 7:30 AM
Why not more chucks and more lathes? I have the Delta 46-755X the Delta 46-460 and over in the corner attached to that 20" sanding disc is a Jet 1236. You might not be able to see to well, but on that back shelve are five chucks and there is one mounted to that bowl on the lathe. I have four 1 x 8 chucks, two 1 x 1 1/4 chucks, and a 1 x 8 to 1 x 1 1/4 adaptor that lets me use those 1 x 8 chucks on the large Delta. And, don't forget the Face Plates. Without going out to count them I think there are eight of them on that shelve.

Doing segmented work, I find the two lathes and multiple chucks and face plates a must. Mounting rings on the lathe is a two chuck project, one holding the project on the head stock and the other mounted to the tail stock to allow centering the ring. With two lathes you can leave a project on one lathe while waiting for the glue to dry and work on another project on the other lathe.

I don't fine batch turning to be much fun.

Paul Singer
11-09-2012, 7:50 AM
Plus don't forget you can get refurbished SN2's from Nova for around $100 plus insert. I bought one and it works the same as the new one I bought at Woodcraft for more money.

charlie knighton
11-09-2012, 8:05 AM
Roger, do a spreedsheet on your time on lathe with chuck, how much time to redo configeration, etc., more chucks and more lathes are nice, but i find i turn multiple items in a short period, then maybe not turn for several weeks, off and on turner i guess, i never really got into the rough out bowl thing, much prefer start to finish with hf's and wallhangings

what i am saying is that you have to turn several time each week and every week to really need more stuff, unless stuff is a feel good thingy

just my opinion

Russell Eaton
11-09-2012, 8:05 AM
I am with Bill on this one. I sold 2 lathes that I accumulated along the way but kept the others. I admit I have a problem. A new 1200sq. ft. shop NEEDS 4 wood lathes....at least that is what I tell myself. All joking aside with some projects I have had pieces on 3 different lathes at the same time for the same project. It can speed things up a lot. The Delta is a good lathe, I think Jet needs to redesign the mini lathes they sell, I have one of them as well, it still keeps on working.

Michael James
11-09-2012, 9:20 AM
Sheeesh...................... with all the QA problems I'm hearing about the new li'l Delta 46-460, I'm gonna go out and hug mine.

RogerGood luck with your dilemma. Sound advice above, some solutions more expensive than others.
mj

Roger Chandler
11-09-2012, 9:31 AM
Went to my local vendor this morning, and they had sold out of the Delta midi 46-460 thought I could get one there for a really good price, but all they had in stock was a jet 10x14 mini and a shop fox midi. I will have to put some thought into this......perhaps call Sean at Toolnut. Another chuck is a definite on my short list.......already have 3 chucks, and likely to get a new set of larger jaws as well.

Thanks for all the replies folks......you have given me some things to consider before I pull the trigger. :)

Scott Hackler
11-09-2012, 9:35 AM
Different chucks.....different lathes.....????? I rarely remove my chuck for any reason, so mark me down as "one chuck for every chore"! I started a long time ago learning to do everything I do with the standard 50mm jaws on my SN2. I was using the set screw and it would be a pain to remove the chuck each time, so I never did remove it. Now I don't use the set screws and do remove the chuck to use different mandrels or for Beal buffing. I own a second SN2 with 100mm jaws installed but don't use it that often.

If (and a big IF) I was going to do production work, I would surely do piece work in massive quanities and assemble all of the completed items...all at once. Seems like that would be quicker.

Greg Just
11-09-2012, 9:47 AM
Plus don't forget you can get refurbished SN2's from Nova for around $100 plus insert. I bought one and it works the same as the new one I bought at Woodcraft for more money.

I did what Paul did and bought a refurbed S/N2. Might do it again.

Scott Hackler
11-09-2012, 9:50 AM
...me too and my refurb works just like the one I bought new.... I wouldn't hesitate buying a refurb SN2 again. Gotta save some money some way!

Roger Chandler
11-09-2012, 9:54 AM
Okay......WC has the SN2 on sale till Nov.21st, so I just ordered one and and extra set of 100mm bowl jaws......and the insert for my current lathe.

If space and budget were no concerns.......I would have a Robust American Beauty on order also, but that will have to wait until I get a bigger shop in the future.......a midi could be set up on one of my benches next to my current lathe and it would be about right for a lot of things and a time saver........might go with the Jet 1220VS........still chewing on that, but no reverse with it is the only drawback.

Bruce Markwardt
11-09-2012, 10:54 AM
I am with Bill on this one. I sold 2 lathes that I accumulated along the way but kept the others. I admit I have a problem. A new 1200sq. ft. shop NEEDS 4 wood lathes....at least that is what I tell myself. All joking aside with some projects I have had pieces on 3 different lathes at the same time for the same project. It can speed things up a lot. The Delta is a good lathe, I think Jet needs to redesign the mini lathes they sell, I have one of them as well, it still keeps on working.

If I had a 1200 sq. ft. shop my family would never see me again!

Michael Mills
11-09-2012, 12:07 PM
You may also want to look at the Rikon 70-050.
Swing is 12” instead of 12.5 for the Delta.
Low speed is 300 to the Delta 250. (Almost same ranges in electronic speed).
Amps are 6.6 on the Rikon vs. the Delta of 8 amps. Rikon says ½ hp and Delta says 1 hp MAX. Unless amp/watts/hp have changed the Delta has only about 20% more usable (continious) HP.
On sale for $250. (Leaving about $400 for more chucks/jaws).
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon-12-basic-mini-lathe-70-050VS.aspx (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/rikon-12-basic-mini-lathe-70-050VS.aspx)

Harry Robinette
11-09-2012, 6:49 PM
I've got my Vega 2600,General 18',2 Jet 10-14 and original Delta Midi and use them all for different things.I use all Nova chucks 1 Titan, 2 SN, 2SN2, ! original Nova and 3 Compacts that still work also adapters to go from1-8tpi to11/4-8tpi and 11/4-8tpi to 1-8tpi. Its never all in use at once but it sure is handy to be able to do what I want.
RODGER Delta is in limbo right now there up for sale again from what I heard. Jet makes a great mini lathe but no extras I'd look at the Rikon at least it's Var-speed and very cheap right now.

David Walser
11-09-2012, 7:01 PM
Roger,

Allow me to depart slightly from the More Chucks Brigade. I have several chucks and love them. I could always use more. (Has anyone else seen the new chuck offered by Easy Wood Tools? Drool!) But, I'm finding that I use faceplates a lot more than I used to. You can buy 10 faceplates for the price of one chuck. With a 3.5" hole saw on your drill press, and you can quickly create a year's supply of glue blocks out of a few feet of 8/4 poplar that's been surfaced on your jointer and planer. Screw (or double-sided tape) the glueblocks to faceplates and you can quickly set up multiple projects on their own dedicated faceplates. Parting a project off a glue block and truing the face of the glue block to accept the next project (or the next phase of the current project) doesn't take much time and is definately quicker than changing the jaws on a chuck. So, while I like chucks, I think too many of us dismiss the advantages of faceplates and glue blocks.

None of this means you shouldn't buy another lathe. You should! The midi Delta is sweet. You should get one. You should also buy a lot of faceplates (and a chuck or two while you're at it).

Roger Chandler
11-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Roger,....None of this means you shouldn't buy another lathe. You should! The midi Delta is sweet. You should get one. You should also buy a lot of faceplates (and a chuck or two while you're at it).

Thanks David for spending my money! :eek::D:rolleyes:;)

Seriously, those faceplates are a nice idea, and I agree a lot can be done with one....I have three. I also just got in my newest SN2, and the 100mm bowl jaws.......I like them a lot, and the chuck runs true. I have 4 SN2's now [well my first one is the original SuperNova chuck] and I have pin jaws on one, 75 mm spigot jaws on one, 50mm jaws on one and now the 100mm bowl jaws on one. That ought to give me a good range of options for different turning needs........I have 4 sets of 50mm jaws now as well [one came with each chuck] so I think I am good for a while anyway!

I still have the itch for a midi.......am not convinced I can get parts and service for the Delta 46-460 if needed, so I might wait a bit to see what shakes out with Delta being up for sale again. That is the one I would most like to have, but I could see the Jet 1220VS as a second choice.

James Combs
11-14-2012, 11:28 PM
...I still have the itch for a midi.......am not convinced I can get parts and service for the Delta 46-460 if needed, so I might wait a bit to see what shakes out with Delta being up for sale again. That is the one I would most like to have, but I could see the Jet 1220VS as a second choice.

Roger, I have gone both routes and I have to say that two lathes is the cats meow. If you recall as we are both members of the Grizzly Green Monster Group, I have a Griz G0658 midi as well as a Jet 1642vs2 and I can say without doubt lathes can compliment each other. AND with multiple chucks the turning process couldn't be better. For example when doing birdhouses I turn the two components, one on each lathe without any setup change. BTW since you are a Grizzly guy you might want to take a look at the G0658, it has been running fine for me now going on 4 years. I had to replace the off/on switch once but didn't have any problem getting it from Grizzly.

Roger Chandler
11-15-2012, 5:37 AM
Roger, I have gone both routes and I have to say that two lathes is the cats meow. If you recall as we are both members of the Grizzly Green Monster Group, I have a Griz G0658 midi as well as a Jet 1642vs2 and I can say without doubt lathes can compliment each other. AND with multiple chucks the turning process couldn't be better. For example when doing birdhouses I turn the two components, one on each lathe without any setup change. BTW since you are a Grizzly guy you might want to take a look at the G0658, it has been running fine for me now going on 4 years. I had to replace the off/on switch once but didn't have any problem getting it from Grizzly.

Thanks JD........how is the power on that lathe? If I remember it is rated 3/4 hp, [same as the Jet 1220 VS ]and does yours bog down easily with a heavier cut?

Bernie Weishapl
11-15-2012, 9:29 AM
Roger I have the Jet 1220 VS with bed extension and my Nova DVR. On some projects I find myself going from one lathe to the other. It makes it a ideal situation. I have 3 grizzly chucks for my Jet which is all I have ever needed and 3 chucks for the Nova. Like JD it just makes it nice not to have remove part of a project to do another piece on the same project. I am very satisfied with the Jet and the service I have gotten.

Tim Rinehart
11-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Roger, while I understand positions that say buying more chucks is the way to go, I'd also say that I really like having a separate midi around to complement my full size lathe. As long as space isn't an issue, having a midi/mini provides opportunities to use that lathe for demos and to show folks who would otherwise be intimidated by the larger lathes.
There is certainly no substitute for the mass of the larger lathe being better for everything, including small items, finials, etc, but I like the feel of my midi for alot of small stuff. Having a separate set of chucks for it has worked out well when I do demos and other stuff away from my shop where I can use my own equipment (chucks, toolrests) instead of club provided stuff that often has a different feel from what you're used to.
I have had my 46-460 for almost 3 years now, trouble free, but do understand concerns about apparent issues with some parts availability should something go wrong.
I do use and like the reverse on it and the fact that I was able to get a chuck that doesn't have an adapter, the G3-D, made for the Delta, as I understand. The Nova Comet II looks to me like a nice little lathe, 3/4HP and has reverse switch, making it a strong contender were I in market. I also like that it has the funky little coupler that you could set up a variety of outboard attachments, like a sharpener. At $500, it's a nice package and would be very nice set up with the sharpener when doing demo work.

Roger Chandler
11-15-2012, 10:49 AM
I spoke by phone to Steve at Packard Woodworks this morning......he says they are out of stock on the 46-460 until 12/15 and said he is confidant that these lathes will continue to be made......the other guy there said that Delta is now owned by a company in Anderson, SC. and that he feels like getting parts/support in the future is not going to be an issue......

Anyone else in the know about these developments with Delta? I have an itchy trigger finger and would like to get this dilemma settled before long........you know, before I change my mind! :eek::rolleyes::D

update: I also spoke with my local wood machine dealer........had him check on the Delta as well........he can't help with the price, but affirmed that getting service/parts should not be a problem in the future.......evidently Delta is getting things sorted out.......good news if this is accurate info!

Roger Chandler
11-15-2012, 1:10 PM
Case closed! I have the 46-460 on order....now to make room for it in the "studio" :rolleyes: [a.k.a. shop]

Russell Eaton
11-15-2012, 1:15 PM
Hey Roger the Rockler add that just came out had the non-variable for 399$. You wouldn't have to worry as much about parts.

Roger Chandler
11-15-2012, 1:21 PM
Hey Roger the Rockler add that just came out had the non-variable for 399$. You wouldn't have to worry as much about parts.

Thanks Russell.......I really wanted the Variable speed.......done deal now! Got a free stand and a $50 gift card to boot!

Gary Max
11-15-2012, 1:44 PM
You will like the stand--- I have one and it is compact and solid once you get it installed. I think I tossed their hardware and used my bolts, but I have slept since then. :)

James Combs
11-15-2012, 2:26 PM
Thanks JD........how is the power on that lathe? If I remember it is rated 3/4 hp, [same as the Jet 1220 VS ]and does yours bog down easily with a heavier cut?

Personally I think it is underrated at 3/4HP. I am thinking that a couple years back I checked the motor amp draw(it is DC contrary to the Griz site info) and I believe it is the same as the 46-460 which delta rates at 1HP. In any case It has always had enough torque for everything I have turned on it. One positive is that it has 3 ranges and I normally run it on the middle range 600 to 2000rpm. On rare occasions I will drop it down to the low range(300-1000 if I have an out of balance blank. In the lower ranges there is no problem with torque. I really haven't tried to stall it in any range but I am sure it would stall easier in the high range(1200-4000).

BTW I have a tutorial (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?158250-Add-Reversing-Switch-To-Your-Grizzly-G0658-Midi-Lathe) in the Authors forum on adding a reversing switch to it. Something you might want to look at after the warranty ends if you go the G0658 route.

Edit: Just noted your "Case Closed" post. Nothing wrong in that deal.

Roger Chandler
11-15-2012, 3:21 PM
Thanks for the info James......that was my second choice if the Delta deal did not work out!

Tim Rinehart
11-15-2012, 3:22 PM
Case closed! I have the 46-460 on order....now to make room for it in the "studio" :rolleyes: [a.k.a. shop]
Congrats Roger...I don't think you'll be disappointed. I like the stand too. Put a couple bags of sand over the backs of the legs and it will also help steady things up even more. From what I've experienced hauling around various club lathes, the Delta is probably the heaviest of the crowd, but still 'haulable'.

Roger Chandler
11-15-2012, 3:36 PM
Now........where in the world did I put that shop stretcher??? :confused:

John M. Smith
11-15-2012, 4:51 PM
You are going to like that lathe. My wife just got me one for my birthday as a second lathe. My main lathe is a PM3520. I love the smaller lathe for finials and pens. Especially when I have something on my PM and want to turn something small. Also works nice if I have a guest over.

Mike Cruz
11-15-2012, 6:00 PM
Roger, the Rikon 12" variable speed on sale at Woodcraft for $229 didn't spark your interest? I've got one, it is great for small stuff. I've also got a Delta 10" with extension bed. That one runs smoothly, too...but doesn't have variable speed...other than changing belts. But I suppose this is all moot...you already ordered a Delta. ;)

Roger Chandler
11-15-2012, 6:05 PM
Roger, the Rikon 12" variable speed on sale at Woodcraft for $229 didn't spark your interest? I've got one, it is great for small stuff. I've also got a Delta 10" with extension bed. That one runs smoothly, too...but doesn't have variable speed...other than changing belts. But I suppose this is all moot...you already ordered a Delta. ;)

I wanted a bit more than that one offered Mike........the 1 hp motor and the variable speed/reverse made the choice an easy one! Like John said above.....if I have a guest, we can both turn!

Mike Cruz
11-15-2012, 6:15 PM
That's why I have 4 lathes, Roger! For when the fellas come over...DUH! :D

John M. Smith
11-15-2012, 7:00 PM
Is that an invite to come over Roger?