PDA

View Full Version : Problem Finding A Grinder Wheel

Jeff Walters
11-08-2012, 8:30 PM
Hi All,

I haven't been on for a while so it is good to be back. I have a slow speed grinder I got from Woodcraft a couple of years ago and use it for sharpening my turning tools. I have noticed that the white wheel on it that I use tends to get a grove in it rather quickly (esspecially when I sharpen my bowl gouge) so I was looking for a replacement. My issues is that I have tried 3 different wheels all with adaptor bushings in them (Like the Norton 3X Blue wheel) and find that no matter what I do the wheel will not align straight and will sway left to right creating a massive amount of vibration in my bench. But I can put the old wheel back in (it has 1 glued in bushing) and there is little to no vibration and I can not see sway from left to right. I have made sure the wheel was flush and tightened down but have had no luck. I have also checked the arbor and it is straight. After talking to the folks at Woodcraft, they seem to agree that the 3 bushing have enough play in them and are probably causing the problem but they also say that no one has ever reported this issue to them.

So I have begun a search for a wheel that is 8" x 1", 120 - 180 grit with a 5/8" hole or with only 1 bushing (prefereably glued in) to reduce it but have come up empty handed.

Looking for any advise I can get on where to get a good wheel.

Thanks,
Jeff

Roger Chandler
11-08-2012, 8:48 PM
Get a drill bushing from McMaster-Carr of the right diameter for your grinder shaft and the hole in your wheel.....it will pretty much eliminate that wobble.......the plastic bushing that comes with the Norton wheels is junk and the wheel will not run true.

If you have the budget and want a top quality life time wheel.........get a CBN wheel from D-way tools........it is true because it is a machined steel wheel with a matrix on it and it is the best thing out there.......about $200 however......for a turner, it does not get any better. I have the 180 grit, and I have not regretted getting it for a minute!

Bruce Markwardt
11-08-2012, 8:50 PM
I had the same issue with the 3X Blue Norton wheels. Couldn't get them to run true and eventually went back to original white wheels that came with the grinder.

Brad Adams
11-08-2012, 9:10 PM
Roger is correct, get a drill bushing and true the wheel. My cheap Delta grinder is smooth as silk with a blue norton wheel with the drill bushing in it from McMaster Carr. I use a wolverine wheel truing jig. I can't bring myself to get a cbn wheel as the norton runs so smooth.

Jeff Walters
11-16-2012, 7:04 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I did find a Norton wheel that is better then the 3x and has a 5/8 size arbor hole which shoudl do the trick. if need be i can do a little balancing on it. will let you all know how it works.

Thanks,
Jeff