PDA

View Full Version : 80W or 100W Question from future laser owner

John Finnegan
11-08-2012, 8:02 PM
Hi All,

Through reading this forum I have learned an incredible amount - so thank you very much. My current question involves the strength of the laser I will need to purchase.

Over the past year I've been building a small business and have been outsourcing my laser work to a vendor in the midwest.

I now have the cash to purchase a laser cutter myself in order to take my small business to the next level. Funds dictate that I'll be buying a machine from China and I have already made the appropriate introductory contacts.

Currently we work in 1/4" birch veneer core (veneer on top and bottom with glue/wood mix in the middle). We presently do vector through-cuts exclusively and do not engrave. For the next growth phase of the business, I would like to begin to use engraving for the customization of my products (think as up-sell or add-on potential to my current line).

Here'a my dilemma:

I have ideas for two new product lines: One product line will be cut in wood up to 3/4" thick, and one product line will be fairly detailed etchings on glass.

Therefore, I feel I need a super strong laser (100W) that can also etch in very nice detail. I was thinking a 100W RECI or and 80W RECI may do the trick, but I just do not know which would be ideal. Do I get the 80W for the better etching and do two passes to cut through the wood? Or do I get the 100W with the hope that it will cut cleanly and etch beautifully at a very low power level.

Can any of you experienced folks help me out?
Though I've learned so much from reading here, I don't have the hard earned, hands-on knowledge that only time and experience can bring.

Thank you very much,
John

Chuck Stone
11-08-2012, 8:27 PM
I don't have an answer for you, just a comment.
(I don't have the power you're looking at, and don't have
the experience.. so take that for what it's worth!)

I would think you'd be looking at 2 passes anyway, with material that
thick.. unless you have a REALLY long lens. The laser beam comes out
of the lens in an hourglass shape. There is a specific point of focus and
above and below that, the beam gets wider. That means the thicker the
material, the more noticeable it is that the cut isn't perpendicular to the
surface. And longer lenses give you a taller hourglass, allowing you to cut
thicker materials, but also a wider beam.

ok, that's my $.02. Where's my change?

Rodne Gold
11-09-2012, 12:39 AM
You will need a lot more power than 100w to cut 3/4" wood , in fact I wouldn't suggest a laser for this unless you WANT burn't edges ..........

You have a few options , buy a high powered large format and a low powered smaller format laser or buy a big bed machine with twin heads/tubes , 1 being a 60w for engraving and etching , the other being 150w for cutting.
I would concentrate on a laser that will be appropriate for what you are doing right now , rather than what you might do in the future , generate the cash now and if your next product seems to taking off and will also generate income , buy a laser to process that.
I can tell you that for your primary needs right now , power will be king

john banks
11-09-2012, 4:19 AM
Our RECI V4 (100W but last year's model) can cut 3/4" wood in one pass with 4" lens and lots of air but it is more charred than we would consider. 1/2" or below is good and 1/4" is fantastic.

Engraving is fine with shorter lenses, we use up to 3" for material that has uneven surfaces like some slate, and material that is difficult to get flat but 2" is sharper. We engrave at 200mm/s for detailed stuff with lots of detailed geometric patterns, but usually use 400mm/s. Unlike the 80W RECI we have to limit engraving power to 30% on some materials to give time for the laser to turn on/off to avoid furry edges on sharp text,

We are very biased to wood cutting up to 1/4" and the 100W RECI suits us very well for performance, quality and cutting whilst still being able to do all rounder stuff.

John Finnegan
11-09-2012, 9:01 AM
Thank you for the replies - it sounds like 100W will be the way to go.
John Banks, do you have any photos or examples of your engravings with your 100W RECI?
If it is a website, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could PM the site to me to avoid breaking forum rules.

Thanks again,
John

john banks
11-09-2012, 2:52 PM
You have PM, I cannot post the pictures on here as you say because it takes you to a gallery and shop of our commercial website.

matthew knott
11-09-2012, 4:56 PM
Can i have a look please John?